Do you like curry?

It's because he is of Italian descent and was born in New Jersey! And yeah, he lives in Texas and has for long enough to become a tree.

I don't know why I never got keen on Indian foods, especially curries. It just never happened. Same with most Japanese foods. I like other Asian foods, just not Japanese and Indian.

CD

I don't know why I never got keen on Indian foods, especially curries. It just never happened. Same with most Japanese foods. I like other Asian foods, just not Japanese and Indian.

CD
My wife (from upstate NY) thoroughly detests Indian food, and I’ll give her credit, she’s tried different dishes on several different occasions, including when we lived in the UK.

I really enjoy it quite a bit (from southwestern OH), and had it often for lunches out during work hours, but now that I’m home full time, that pretty much ended that.

Completely different reactions, though we both didn’t grow up with it. The first time either of us had it was at the same meal at an Indian restaurant in England:

Me: This is fantastic!
MrsT: <retch!>

:laugh:

My wife (from upstate NY) thoroughly detests Indian food, and I’ll give her credit, she’s tried different dishes on several different occasions, including when we lived in the UK.

I really enjoy it quite a bit (from southwestern OH), and had it often for lunches out during work hours, but now that I’m home full time, that pretty much ended that.

Completely different reactions, though we both didn’t grow up with it. The first time either of us had it was at the same meal at an Indian restaurant in England:

Me: This is fantastic!
MrsT: <retch!>

:laugh:
You sure you weren't born in the UK? You are an Englishman trapped in an American country boy's body (don't nearly all Brits love curries?). Maybe you were adopted. Or some woman visiting from the UK was at the hospital giving birth the same day as your ma and the babies got switched up!

I went to cooking school in India (for three months). One of the first things that blew me away is that what we think of as "curry" they think of as "wet food", that is, food with a gravy.

Traditionally, you do not use your left hand when eating (as it's used for the toilet), and since food isn't eaten with a utensil, but the right hand, that right hand is unsuited to picking up a glass of liquid while eating. So an important consideration for the Indian chef is to balance the wet vs dry ingredients for a meal. #trivia

Curries are nice, but have you ever had idli or dosa? Highly unrated outside of India, imo.

There´s a little restaurant just at the end of The Strand, in London, called the "India Club", where they make the most exquisite dosas.
Never tried idli, but I´m tempted to buy the gadget used to make them!

There´s a little restaurant just at the end of The Strand, in London, called the "India Club", where they make the most exquisite dosas.
Never tried idli, but I´m tempted to buy the gadget used to make them!

Its something I never made (or eaten) either. First the rice and lentils need fermenting.

I love curry, but my only experience cooking it begins with curry powder. Examples include Japanese curry and Caribbean (Jamaican) curry powders.
I know I am missing out on making the curry from scratch, but I wonder (a) if I can get the required spices and (b) is it really worth the extra effort?

I love curry, but my only experience cooking it begins with curry powder. Examples include Japanese curry and Caribbean (Jamaican) curry powders.
I know I am missing out on making the curry from scratch, but I wonder (a) if I can get the required spices and (b) is it really worth the extra effort?
I would make the effort, the difference is worth it. I'm pretty sure India doesn't actually have a generic "curry powder" or at least I didn't see any in the spice market in New Delhi. Every family have their own version that is generally indicative of that particular area. Personally I like the blends from the Rajasthan area the most.

Yeah, it's worth the effort. It depends on what you want to make, but you're really only looking for 5 - 10 spices. And dry roasting them and grinding them yourself, nothing better, like coriander (which can be used as a thickener at the end of cooking) just smells amazing when it's freshly roasted and ground.

And if you wanna go all out, get cashews and watermelon seeds for a decadent korma.

I ADORE most curries, and if I had to live as a vegetarian, it would be Indian food all the time. Hell, I'm NOT vegetarian and could eat Indian all the time.

Back
Top Bottom