Do you like to read cookery books?

I love a good book, and usually read one start to finish but only when it has a narrative. Collections of recipes without a background narrative I will avoid. Favourites are Floyd, Rick Stein, James Martin, Hugh FW. Currently, I am ploughing through Jane Grigson's 'Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery'. It is a gold mine!

I do love reading cookbooks, those places in cookbooks where the author talks about cuisine or whatever he or she wants relevant to that, letting me into a window of the world they're cooking in.

Right off the top of my head:
  • Phoenix Claws and Jade Trees - Chinese. By Kian Lam Kho.
  • How to Roast a Lamb - Greek. By Michael Psilakis.
I know I have more, not going through the collection at the moment. But:

My newest cookbook, which I have yet to crack effectively, is Autentico, by Rolando Beramendi (Italian). It looks like I'll get some reading pleasure out of this one, too. (One reason I wanted this book wasn't so much for the discussions or the readability, but that I'm rather unimpressed with most Americanized Italian restaurants I've been in lately. I wanna cook something GOOD from that background!)

And then there are people who write ABOUT food, and only incidentally drop in recipes, perhaps to illustrate points. The most recent book I have acquired in this genre is The Cooking Gene, by Michael Twitty (African American/Southern).

I do love reading cookbooks, those places in cookbooks where the author talks about cuisine or whatever he or she wants relevant to that, letting me into a window of the world they're cooking in.

Right off the top of my head:
  • Phoenix Claws and Jade Trees - Chinese. By Kian Lam Kho.
  • How to Roast a Lamb - Greek. By Michael Psilakis.
I know I have more, not going through the collection at the moment. But:

My newest cookbook, which I have yet to crack effectively, is Autentico, by Rolando Beramendi (Italian). It looks like I'll get some reading pleasure out of this one, too. (One reason I wanted this book wasn't so much for the discussions or the readability, but that I'm rather unimpressed with most Americanized Italian restaurants I've been in lately. I wanna cook something GOOD from that background!)

And then there are people who write ABOUT food, and only incidentally drop in recipes, perhaps to illustrate points. The most recent book I have acquired in this genre is The Cooking Gene, by Michael Twitty (African American/Southern).

I like the points you are highlighting here about different types of food writing. Its making me think!

Yes - I've looked at that site several times. Its a great idea but unfortunately you have to pay for it which put me off. I wasn't sure I'd ever use it enough to warrant the expense. Has anyone else got experience of Eat Your Books?

You only have to pay if you want all the books. You can have 5 books for free, and can swap them around as needs be. Also if you catalogue a book that they haven't had done already you get an extra book for your bookshelf.

You only have to pay if you want all the books. You can have 5 books for free, and can swap them around as needs be. Also if you catalogue a book that they haven't had done already you get an extra book for your bookshelf.

Oh thanks! I'll check it out again. Although cataloguing a cookery book (in entirety?) would be a daunting task.

I've bought several cookbooks, only to thumb through them once or twice, and put them away. When I want to build a recipe, I almost always go on the web.

The only straight-up cookbook that I enjoy reading from time to time is this one:

51x2JF1MNTL._SX442_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

His recipes are at the same time edgy and also old world Italian. And, he includes a lot of history and storytelling with each recipe.

I have other cooking-related books that contain recipes, which I honestly look at more often, most notably this massive tome:

9780393081084_p0_v3_s550x406.jpg

But, as the name suggests, Chef Lopez-Alt is all about explaining the science of cooking - things like truth vs myth regarding cast iron pans - and occasionally dropping in a recipe here and there. I find this sort of book more useful than a straight-up cookbook.

Isn't he on the judge panel of Chopped & Chopped Junior?!! Looks like him!! :wink:

Oh thanks! I'll check it out again. Although cataloguing a cookery book (in entirety?) would be a daunting task.
It is, and they have a very precise way of cataloguing books so that all books are catalogued in the same way.

ook
I've bought several cookbooks, only to thumb through them once or twice, and put them away. When I want to build a recipe, I almost always go on the web.

The only straight-up cookbook that I enjoy reading from time to time is this one:

51x2JF1MNTL._SX442_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

His recipes are at the same time edgy and also old world Italian. And, he includes a lot of history and storytelling with each recipe.

I have other cooking-related books that contain recipes, which I honestly look at more often, most notably this massive tome:

9780393081084_p0_v3_s550x406.jpg

But, as the name suggests, Chef Lopez-Alt is all about explaining the science of cooking - things like truth vs myth regarding cast iron pans - and occasionally dropping in a recipe here and there. I find this sort of book more useful than a straight-up cookbook.

It surprised me that you don't read more cookery books - I'd had you down as an avid recipe book reader! I can get the Scarpetta book here for aaround £6 (used, of course) so I might order it.

I keep some recipes that I know I'm using I my office downstairs. Every now and then I file them or make something. Today butter chicken a mixture of three different recipes.

Russ

Reading cookery books is what got me into cooking. I've always had the ability to 'taste' a dish through reading a recipe, and as a 6 year old I apparently already read my grandma's cookbooks while gesturing like I was eating lol :laugh:

The first cookbook I ever owned was a 'cooking with kids' book that I got from my grandma due to this particular hobby, and it's always been an interest of mine since. I must own at least a 100 cookbooks by now.

My favorites are usually chefs biographies like Nigel Slater's toast, that's such a delicious book.

Back
Top Bottom