Do you prefer cheesy garlic bread or regular?

Fiorabelle

Veteran
Local time
9:23 AM
When I first saw cheesy garlic bread advertised in New Zealand (I know it has been around in the US and UK for much longer) I had to try it. After one bite I was convinced that I'd never eat normal garlic bread again. However, even after 2 little slices my stomach started to feel a little ill, so now I only eat the regular kind.

I prefer cheesy garlic bread as it is tastier. I like the regular type too, but garlic bread is delicious. But I rather like to bake my own bread than buying it pre-made.

In general, I prefer regular bread (Honey Wheat).

For pastas, I prefer some type of cheesy garlic bread. This type of starch rightly complements red sauce. So, it's a great combo.

6a00e008db94dd8834010535e5f749970c-450wi.jpg
(The cheesy bread I prefer.)

Personally, I prefer regular garlic bread. I think the cheese in cheesey garlic bread takes away from the garlic flavor. I love garlic and so I really like the garlic flavor to be dominant. My husband however loves cheesey garlic bread. I like to make my own garlic breads. When I do this, I can add cheese for him on some, and no cheese on the ones for me. :) I think it is all in your personal preference. I enjoy having garlic bread when I make afredo or spaghetti. I like to dip my garlic bread in alfredo sauce or red sauce. :)

Garlic bread is garlic bread - the clue is in the name! Cheese has no place with it - it's two strong flavours competing and cancelling each other out. I don't know why people have to muck about with food classics. I suppose it's the influence of celebrity chefs, but everyone seems to have their own version of just about everything you can think of. I'm all for experimentation, but not for changing something wonderful just for the sake of it. (climbs down from soap box).

Never tried cheesy garlic bread but it does look quite delicious. I agree on not trying to fix something that is not broken, but when it comes to food I think there is always room for experimenting and doing things your way.

Garlic bread with cheese can certainly be pretty rich, I could eat it by itself as a meal (it's more or less what we also call a "white pizza" only it's on a slice of bread rather than a pizza crust). But as a side to go along with a larger meal, sometimes I simply prefer plain garlic bread, preferably not drenched in butter either. For example, if I have a big plate of rigatoni & meatballs, or lasagna, cheesy garlic bread would be way too much to include on the side.

On the other hand, I love getting a loaf of french bread that is covered with a garlic butter herb spread, then adding some cheese and other toppings and baking it until golden. I would probably eat something like that as a meal with a side salad.

It's safe to say that I prefer "cheesy," anything. Okay, maybe not cheesy coffee, but you get what I mean. I really appreciate garlic bread smothered with cheese, but to be honest if I'm in a restaurant, just a dusting of parmesan is enough for me. Sometimes I feel a little too guilty eating a plate of buttery cheese bread haha.

I'm a traditionalist and prefer the garlic only bread. I used to live in the Italian section of Hartford and have been forever spoiled by the food there.

I prefer regular even though the cheesy variety is still very good. I choose regular because I find the cheesy one to be too strong and therefore I can only have a bit of it before getting too sick of it whereas I can eat a lot of the regular type if it's good enough and if only it wasn't so unhealthy. :D

Roasted garlic butter ,good chiabata,and grated mozzarella,served with homemade chilli oil

Back
Top Bottom