Do you teach your kids how to cook?

cookingmamaV

Veteran
Local time
1:49 AM
Is it really that healthy to teach your kid even at age 5 how to cook? I mean with using the stove and everything? I've been watching a lot of Masterchef and I was wondering how an 8 year old kid already seemed to be cooking all his life? Just wondering.

Under supervision I personally can't see the problem. After all it is not add though you are going to leave them alone in the kitchen and the sooner they are aware of the dangers the better and children do have a very good instinctive sense of danger which they have not lost through complacency.

I have taught an 8 year old with learning issues how to make bread (Irish soda bread does not need proving or rising time so held her attention) as well as making scones. She really loved it and listened to me and there were no issues. Even when it came to getting things out of the oven to check them, i simply asked her if she wanted me to do it for her (the answer was yes). She knew it was hot and that she could burn herself and watched very carefully what I did asking me questions that a teenager would not have done. When I put the hot baking tray down on the chopping board and removed the first couple of scones off it, she watched and then when I got her to repeat, all I needed to do was to steady the baking tray with another oven glove. I didn't need to lecture her on it being hot or how to use the spatula because she wanted to learn.

I have been watchin the kids version of Master Chef too and I don't think there is a problem with teaching them to cook as long as you are watching them during the whole process. It is good for kids to learn new schools, and if they want to cook, I say embrace it. The only thing I am nervous about is having my kids chop things with knives. I don't want to risk them getting cut by a knife when they are trying to chop something.

Yes I show them how to cook and sometimes I let them help. The only part I don't like is the clean up. They make such a big mess, I rather just cook the meals myself.:laugh:

Where my daughter is concerned i honestly don't think i have much of a choice as i just can't keep her out of the kitchen and she's been like this since she was a tot; now at the age of 13 she can prepare just about any meal unsupervised.

I don't have kids yet but when I do I will not shelter them from doing tasks for themselves which they are capable of doing. I think if you bring up the child to be responsible there is no reason why a 5 year old can't cook simple meals. The more they know the better and it's better that I teach them at an early age and supervise them than have me cook all their food until they leave for college and then have them burn the noodles.:meh:

I love cooking with my child, except I don't let her go anywhere near the dangerous equipment especially not a stove! So I suppose I do teach her how to cook because she gets to do a lot of the mixing up and she seems to enjoy it quite a lot at 4 years.
I don;t think there is anything wrong with it just as long as you are extra careful with them.

my boys ,well they are teenagers now 14 and 15 have always helped out in the kitchen and love to eat out try new foods,and they both help me out at the restaurant they help prep fish and shell fish ,veg and pots and both have made cakes and pastries for 3 months for a local older persons day centre as part of their duke of Edinburgh scheme,they have a true interest in different ingredients and from a early age were encouraged to try then decide!

One of the first words my nephew learned was "hot". He knew not to touch anything "hot", and when at my Mum's house visiting he pointed to the fireplace and said "Hot" so that we knew he knew. In fact he even used "hot" to describe a prickly hedge, when he didn't know the right word for prickly. I don't think he's ever burned himself, because he knew the danger. But he and his brother are in and out of the kitchen all the time.

(of course nothing could teach him not to go over the handlebars of a tricycle except experience...:blackeye:)

I think it is essential that children are taught how to cook and starting early is the best way. Supervise them when very young and they will learn fast. They are not fools nor are they stupid and shielding them from all possible dangers is doing them a disservice - the world can be a dangerous place and they have to learn to deal with it. Secondly far too many children grow up having had 'mummy' cook for them all their lives and suddenly go to university or college and are unable to boil an egg, and here I include boys as I'm afraid I find grown men who are unable to look after themselves pathetic

It is essential that children learn to cook so that they can feed themselves when they become adults. As for the show that shows all those little people doing amazing things in the kitchen I think it is the child that will say what they are willing to learn. Some people no matter their age love to cook. Children are probably curious and want to get in there and learn and help. I did not teach my girls to cook when they were little because I could not stand the mess they made in the kitchen when they were learning to cook, now my oldest loves to eat and cook and she does a wonderful job, my youngest is like me, I eat because I have to to stay alive but it is not the most important thing to me, that daughter does not cook.

I think that kids who are walking and talking and who can understand concepts of safety matters are more than old enough to start cooking. Most kids love to help and giving them tasks they can accomplish in the kitchen that either contribute to meals or allow them to make their own food is hugely beneficial and great for their self-esteem. Of course, they need to start with safe tools and equipment. It's all about starting them out with what is appropriate for their age.

I am interested in hearing others response to this. I have a 2 year old who loves to be involved in helping me cook. She doesn't do much other than stir (and lick the spoon), but I have often wondered at what point would she be able to go over to the stove and help me there. I can remember helping my mom flip pancakes when I was younger and my mom would pull a chair right up to the stove so I could flip them on my own and today I love to cook.

I think having kids help with cooking may make them more likely to try different foods. My daughter is pretty picky so I hope that the more involved she can get in cooking our food the more she will be willing to try whatever it is we are making.

I think it would depend on their level of maturity. I would want to get my child in the kitchen as early as possible. The approach would be sensible only giving them age appropriate task.

About the two year old. I think most of the task for that age would be just outside the kitchen and nothing too serious at all. I am so concerned about accidents in the kitchen at too young an age.

I thin it's a good thing, it's important for children to learn about food and cooking. I think that the more involved they are with the process of cooking, the more likely they are to want to try new foods.

Back
Top Bottom