Do you use any single-use/disposable items?

Paper towels go like crazy as do ziploc bags.
Forgot about that - we also use a scandalous amount of ziploc bags. We do have disposable gloves, but we rarely use them, although she did use two this morning to put suet cakes in the bird feeders.

Forgot about that - we also use a scandalous amount of ziploc bags. We do have disposable gloves, but we use them, although she did use two this morning to put suet cakes in the bird feeders.

Here is a tip. If you want disposable gloves that are tougher than the normal surgical style gloves, buy auto mechanic's disposable nitrile gloves. They are thicker. They are usually also black in color, but does it really matter?

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 3.02.19 PM.jpg

CD

Here is a tip. If you want disposable gloves that are tougher than the normal surgical style gloves, buy auto mechanic's disposable nitrile gloves. They are thicker. They are usually also black in color, but does it really matter?

View attachment 81292

CD
I meant to say that we rarely use them. I guess I prefer to cut hot peppers and then rub my eyes. :laugh:

We have the thinnest of thin:

I use THESE. Lysol surface wipes. On surfaces & on my hands! It kills both the flu virus & the covid-19 virus!! I keep a container in every room, including the kitchen!!
When I can't get to the liquid hand sanitiser, I reach for one of these!! Keeps surfaces & your hands germ-free!! :whistling:

What disposable/single-use items do you use in the kitchen?

We use paper plates for some things (mainly toast and pizza) and we use a lot of paper towels (way more than our fair share, I’m sure).

My mom, due to her advanced age, uses all disposable cups, plates, and cutlery (plastic). She has difficulty washing anything these days, and has a dishwasher, but has trouble using it and putting heavy dishes away.

Anyone else have things like that they use?
Paper napkins and paper towels, but I am feeling guilty after LissaC decided to ban most paper products from her house in order to be environmentally friendly (good on her for sure). But occasionally, we will use paper plates when we are having a casual gathering of family members who don't care if we don't break out the good dishes for them. I hate disposable eating utensils. And those plastic solo cups? I wash (and rewash) and keep them for future use in the house, LOL. They make great "to go" cups for the road. My husband occasionally likes to take an adult beverage open container in the car even though he shouldn't. We don't have to worry if that cup makes it back home again. Oh, and ziplock bags, yeah, those are something I do tend to use, but if it's something that has lettuce or a non-oily item in it, I have been known to wash and reuse those, too. I am trying to get into using my pyrex and glass storage containers more often. Oh, and plastic wrap and tinfoil, sigh...

i hate those lose fitting food service plastic gloves.

CD
I have really good, well-fitting food service gloves. I love them, I rely on them for when I am handling raw meat. I use them frequently for other things as well.

Oh yes, I wear gloves when processing hot chili peppers. I learned long ago that simply washing your hands with soap and water doesn't work. You can wash your hands five times, and still burn your eyes -- or if you are male, other sensitive parts of your body.

CD

Oh yes, I wear gloves when processing hot chili peppers. I learned long ago that simply washing your hands with soap and water doesn't work. You can wash your hands five times, and still burn your eyes -- or if you are male, other sensitive parts of your body.

CD

I've never worn gloves in the kitchen for preparing food (or for any other reason). Even cutting chillis I have not had problems. Perhaps it's the insensitivity of my skin?

I cut these up yesterday without taking any precautions.

I've never worn gloves in the kitchen for preparing food (or for any other reason). Even cutting chillis I have not had problems. Perhaps it's the insensitivity of my skin?

I cut these up yesterday without taking any precautions.

I wasn't talking about the skin on my hands. Can you cut up chilis, remove seeds and such, and touch your eyes?

CD

Forgot about that - we also use a scandalous amount of ziploc bags. We do have disposable gloves, but we rarely use them, although she did use two this morning to put suet cakes in the bird feeders.

We don't use zip locks very much but when we do and after the food is removed for consumption, my wife washes the empty bag for re-use.

I wasn't talking about the skin on my hands. Can you cut up chilis, remove seeds and such, and touch your eyes?

CD

I never remove seeds (and such) from chillis; however, I cannot see any reason why I should touch my eyes so I'm not sure if I do. I certainly touch other parts of my anatomy without consequences.

I never remove seeds (and such) from chillis; however, I cannot see any reason why I should touch my eyes so I'm not sure if I do. I certainly touch other parts of my anatomy without consequences.

Well, keep in mind I'm a Texan, and we can't handle heat. You've been to Houston once, so you know how it is. :wink:

CD

You can wash your hands five times, and still burn your eyes -- or if you are male, other sensitive parts of your body.

Women have sensitive parts too, you know! :laugh:

I don't use disposable gloves when chopping chilli. Occasionally I've rubbed my eye but I can put up with the stinging. Ditto in other places. It doesn't last long.

Back
Top Bottom