Do you usually buy a whole chicken at a time or just parts of one?

queenbellevue

Veteran
Local time
2:50 PM
The thing is...it's cheaper buy weight if you buy a whole chicken at once, but would you be able to eat it all?

There are only 2 of us now so I tend to buy chicken portions, as I can use just one or two depending on what we want them for. Its better for us as we dont waste
Any.

I would buy them alternately. If I buy a whole chicken, it would last for about 3 days. Whatever is left over would be put in the refrigerator to use the next day and the next. These days I tend to buy chicken parts more regularly though. I would also sometimes buy a half chicken. Come to think of it, it is more economical to buy a whole chicken than the chicken parts, since the parts tend to be very expensive and do not go as far, unless you bought more than one package at a time. If I plan to bake my chicken, however, I prefer it to be a whole chicken.

I never buy a whole chicken and I only cook with parts. I don't know why, but every time I've tried to cook a whole chicken it just comes out nasty. The chicken will be fatty, tasteless and the skin will have little hairs on it. I think it must just be the quality of chicken I'm able to get, because I don't have that problem with turkey. But the chicken parts I get (breast, leg, and thighs) are usually pretty good quality. Also chicken breast is my favorite anyways, since it's so versatile.

I could not eat it all at once. I mainly buy a whole chicken for stuffing & roasting, bbq'ng or for smoking.
For cut up chicken, I buy that in cut up pieces, & it is only the drumsticks (my first preference because I like THEM the most), wings (for frying or making honey buffalo wings), and the breast (for making chicken pot pies or casseroles).
The only part of the chicken that I don't buy that's cut from the main body are the thighs. Too fatty & too much fat to have to clean out of them!!:stop:

Last edited:
depends on the use i like whole birds as they are normally better quality v jointed birds,i use the breasts with skin on by the packet at work, but use the legs off the whole birds as starters by stuffing them or confit them, the carcasses and the wing tips make great white stock,i do like the maize fed chickens as they area great colour and love Bresse chicken but they do cost a lot more,chicken livers are frozen till i have enough for a terrine

I also buy turkey cut up (parts).
I can't possibly eat a whole turkey - not even in a week's time! Too much to try to eat within a few days!
So I buy 1/2 a turkey breast for roasting, with the stuffing cooked under it. Same with the legs & wings. I often like to do what I like to refer it to as a Mini Thanksgiving Dinner!
Everything in very small amounts. So that there is not much to prepare, cook, to store the leftovers in the fridge & not a whole lot of stuff to clean up afterwards!! :wink:
001.JPG

Last edited:
Sometimes it's cheaper. I've seen it equal to boneless skinless chicken breasts by the pound which was ludicrous seeing as it's about the cost of the work that goes into it. Anywho, I wish I bought whole chickens more often. I would be able to utilize a lot more of the chicken for stock & casseroles but there are times when I have no time. So it's back to the pre-cut pieces.

Which is why I can get away with using just a half chicken breast to make pot pies or casseroles. I use the stock as well! :wink:

Mainly parts. I can (and will :D) eat a whole chicken too but I find it to be so much easier to cook different dishes from different parts. Just easier to get what ever part I need for today's food rather than get a whole chicken.

Sometimes it's cheaper. I've seen it equal to boneless skinless chicken breasts by the pound which was ludicrous seeing as it's about the cost of the work that goes into it. Anywho, I wish I bought whole chickens more often. I would be able to utilize a lot more of the chicken for stock & casseroles but there are times when I have no time. So it's back to the pre-cut pieces.

Really?? Hmm, I've never ever seen that before, usually it's WAYYY cheaper to buy even a whole roasted chicken.

When I went shopping today in morrisons supermarket, they didn't have any pork chops, so I bought a whole chicken to freeze. Normally they have a mix and match deal where you can mix sausages, pork, mince meat, and chicken. Buy three differenf meats or three of the same item for £10.00. So I now have a whole chicken in the freezer.

It depends on how I'm preparing it. I often prefer to buy it in parts and bake them at the oven with some herbs. However if I'm in a hurry i'll buy it already prepared and full, which is usually cheaper, faster, easier and still tastes good.

Speaking of chicken parts, I bought something that I've never seen before in the supermarket!
Was going to get some chicken wings, but I saw something new that I never saw before! What I saw were the little drumetts, as they call them - the very upper meaty parts of the wings. So I gladly got 2 small trays of THOSE, rather than buy the whole wings! Saves the fuss & bother of cutting off the tips which have no meat in them anyway.

Then I bought a tray of boneless skinless pre-seasoned half chicken breasts. I froze them, but I will be taking them out of the freezer long enough to vacuum seal them and put them back in the freezer for long-term storage. :wink:

I prefer a whole chicken, some for a roast and the rest is used in sandwiches for work and/or chicken and veg broth, very versatile. The only portions we buy is chicken thighs because they have so much more flavour and more tender.

Back
Top Bottom