Do you work in the industry?

lexinonomous

Veteran
Local time
12:59 PM
There are so many restaurants, which means there are even more workers to accompany them. For those of you in the food industry, you can understand the struggle that comes with coming in and out of a kitchen. Whether you work over a hot stove or create the atmosphere in front of house, I'm curious as to how many people here know "that feel."

Do you work in the food industry?
What do you do? Cook? Wait tables? Wash dishes? Bar tend?

I use to cook in a restaurant many years ago. It was very fast pace and her demanding. I left the job when I moved and then I got into a different career. My daughter is a bartender. She loves it and she makes so much money in tips. She is a single mom and bartending provides well for her and her daughter.

The closest I've done to work in the food industry was my part time job in fast food as a teenager. People don't give fast food employees enough credit - I got treated like rubbish by so many people who thought they were "above me" because I worked in fast food! And I was a teenager!

Anyway, it was a great grounds for learning about work ethic because it was busy all the time!

The way it works with me you could say I work in industry but I only have two "patrons" my son and my husband. Well they really aren't 'patrons' but I cook, wait tables, wash dishes and seldom bar tend. On a serious note, I don't work in the industry but with the two I have here it feels like it sometimes.

I worked at Dairy Queen when I was a teen. I did both the kitchen and ice cream parts and had a good time doing it. There was really no room for creativity as far as the food was concerned, but it gave me a taste for what it would be like working in a kitchen. As much as I love cooking, I would not want the pressure of doing it professionally.

I worked doing odd jobs in my uncle's restaurant/bar when I was younger. It's cool and easy if you live in a small town and everyone knows each other the only rude customers I get are usually the drunkards or people from out of town and that was expected. I mopped, washed dishes, waited tables etc. an honest day's work was all I really was after back then. I don't expect to be back in the business but I have sympathy to servers-- from experience.

I've been a chef for over 30 years ,big hotels to small independent restaurants,I also advise establishments ,there is a general shortage of trained catering staff in the UK ,the hours don't suit every one ,or does the stress

My brother has gone to uni to leave the trade. He is/was a trained chef as well. He doesn't have any problems holiday work and has been booked for Christmas and New Year since the beginning of the summer. He says the one advantage now is that they are so desperate to get him over the holiday period he can dictate that he does not work Christmas day anymore!

I was also in the trade, as was my OH. It is hard and stressful, but I have other industries to be just as hard and stressful in different ways. I did enjoy working in the food industry but was equally as happy to leave it. Mind you I could say that about my current industry as well, I just haven't managed to shake my current industry anywhere near as successfully as being out of the food industry!

I actually work in a bank but my sister-in-law (youngest sister of my husband) has a catering business that sometimes we provide assistance. Especially when the client is known to me, I would help in the flower arrangement and other table decorations. I don't dream of cooking for a catering business because I had seen the travails of cooking. It would be so hot to stay for hours in front of the stove. But my husband said that is good for me since the fats in my body will be burned.

But my husband said that is good for me since the fats in my body will be burned.
my OH would be being chased down the street for saying something like that! :ninja:

But seriously, have you seen many thin chefs? Stress and exhaustion mean they eat and eat to just have the energy to keep going. In fact, my brother is probably the only thin chef I know of and that has taken a lot of years of dedicated dieting to get to that point!

my OH would be being chased down the street for saying something like that! :ninja:

But seriously, have you seen many thin chefs? Stress and exhaustion mean they eat and eat to just have the energy to keep going. In fact, my brother is probably the only thin chef I know of and that has taken a lot of years of dedicated dieting to get to that point!

We should ask @Berties! :giggle:

Do you know my repartee to my husband's statement about burning my fats? I replied that I would be burning my fats but I would be tasting my cooking frequently so I guess I would still gain weight. To that, he just smirked, hahahaaa. But seriously, I find cooking annoying because of the heat. When we have a housemaid, she would be the one doing the stirring while I watch tv. And when the timer sounds, that's the time I would attend to my cooking. At least I am not always in front of the hot stove. They said that excessive heat can cause wrinkles.

Back
Top Bottom