Do your retailers round up?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
12:24 AM
More and more retailers that I frequent are offering the option of rounding up my bill to the nearest dollar for this or that charity.

McD’s, for example, applies it to their Ronald McDonald House charity, and I think CVS (drugstore) sends theirs to the American Heart Association. Kroger does as well, but I can’t remember the charity.

Are you noticing more and more of your local retailers doing something similar?

I have only seen it on a few occasions, so far. PetsMart does it for one of the animal charities. Some stores I've been to ask if I'd like to add a dollar to my purchase for charity.

I research the charities I support at charitynavigator.org, to see what percentage of their donations go to "administrative costs." Anything over 15 percent is unacceptable.

CD

They don't do that anywhere around here, Mcdonald's is the only company with a begging box.

Sometimes there is a donation box for food banks near the entrance, but that's for produce , not money. That's meant to inspire people to buy an item they request during their weekly shop.

But something like this would be considered offensive here, because Dutch people are scrimpy. As we're well known for. People do donate a lot to charity by the way, but in the privacy of their homes. Being asked to donate is considered rude here.

A lot of online retailers offer it and sometimes in store as well. Plus if it's $9.99 And you pay $10 cash, you'll not get change which annoys me.

However my UK bank account has always offered the equivalent (keep the change) where by every transaction is rounded up to the nearest whole £, and the difference is transferred to your savings account.

However my UK bank account has always offered the equivalent (keep the change) where by every transaction is rounded up to the nearest whole £, and the difference is transferred to your savings account.

I have seen that, and it is a good idea for young people trying to get in the habit of putting some money away in savings.

CD

Back
Top Bottom