Recipe Dobos torte with almond lace cookies and brandy buttercream

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:20 PM
2018-04-04 17.33.56.jpg

I made a half size one! A picture with it sliced will follow. This used to be my birthday cake every year (yes, I made my own birthday cake) but I just don't bake like I used to.

Two 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pans
parchment paper
wooden spoon with round handle
thin edged metal spatula

Sponge cake
5 eggs, separated
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup sifted cake flour

Grease and line the 2 pans with parchment paper. Using baking spray, spray the parchment paper (better safe than sorry, don't want sticking). Preheat oven to 350 F.

With electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy, start slow, then bring up to high on the mixer. Sprinkle in 1/3 cup of the sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, until soft meringue peaks form.

With same beaters, beat egg yolks with remaining sugar and vanilla until soft and fluffy. Fold in flour. Stir in 1/3 of the egg white mixture to lighten, then fold egg yolk mixture into remaining egg whites, being careful not to deflate too much. Spread batter into pans, dividing evenly, and smooth tops. Bake for 12 minutes or until center springs back when gently touched. Invert onto wire racks or clean towels, peel off parchment, and cool completely.

Frosting/Filling
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup butter, softened
2 egg yolks
2-1/2 to 3 cups 10x confectioner's sugar, sifted.
1/2 cup light cream
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave, being sure not to burn. Beat in butter and egg yolks until well blended. Been in 10x sugar alternating with light cream until filling is smooth and spreadable. Stir in vanilla.

To put cake together, cut each piece of cake into 4 equal sections, each measuring about 10 x not quite 4 inches. Stack on serving plate using a slightly rounded 1/3 cup of frosting between each layer. Smooth remaining filling on sides and top.

Almond lace cookies
1/4 finely ground blanched almond
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp milk

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 375 F.

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Drop by slightly rounded teaspoonfulls onto lined baking sheets, 4 inches apart. Work with only 4 or 5 cookies at a time. Bake 5 minutes until lacy and golden brown. Cool briefly until you are able to slide the spatula underneath the cookie and flip (but it is still pliable). Roll cookie around the handle of the wooden spoon to make a little tube. If cookie becomes too brittle to roll, place back in oven for a few minutes until pliable again. If they break, keep the pieces to put over ice cream or whatever.

Brandy Cream
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sifted 10x sugar
2 tsp brandy

Combine butter and sugar together until smooth. Mix in brandy.

To finish cake, pipe brandy cream into ends of almond cookie tubes (10-12). I usually put them on top of the cake as I do them. How many you need will depend on how small (or large) you roll them. You will serve by cutting in between the cookies. Pipe remaining brandy cream around the base with decorative rosettes or swirls. Chill several hours or overnight in an airtight container.

Last edited:
I made a half size one of these today, just got it frosted. I had issues with rolling the cookies though, just don't have the patience anymore, so I'll decorate with the brandy buttercream tomorrow and then crumble the cookies on top.

Last edited:
This sounds like a very decorative cake - I'm trying to imagine it! So made in its original form there are what I would call brandy snaps on top of a sponge?

I don't do cakes but my daughter does. I stick to what I know, and plus I'm not really a cake or dessert guy. I do like a scoop of vanilla ice cream though with raspberry coulis.

Russ

I don't do cakes but my daughter does. I stick to what I know, and plus I'm not really a cake or dessert guy. I do like a scoop of vanilla ice cream though with raspberry coulis.

Russ

I'll try to choose a theme more up your street for the next Prize Challenge! I chose cakes because we get very few cake recipes posted - its interesting that a lot of members of this forum (myself included) are not keen on cakes.

Back
Top Bottom