Does anybody use the 1/4 teaspoon measure? And, can you tell the difference?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:57 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I posted this question on Reddit, and wow did I get a response:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/s/uzjkj2mpgJ

I’ve taken to eyeballing everything. A 1/4 teaspoon of anything is small enough that a few granules one way or another isn’t something I would notice. But, many people of the 52 who responded not only use a 1/4 teaspoon measure, but several use a 1/8 teaspoon measure.

Please, if you are in this group, I am very curious to hear your perspective. Some of the things they mentioned measuring out were potent things, like cayenne pepper. But, even in that case, I still wouldn’t get my 1/4 teaspoon measure out.

I do use it for some things, but I couldn’t really say what, exactly. Sometimes, if I have a 1/2 tsp measure already out, I’ll use that, just half-filled (which may be the same as eyeballing it). I will also eyeball a lot of things up to about a half-cup, counting out the tablespoons.

America’s Test Kitchen does say a 1/8th is a necessity, which I remember from watching them review measuring spoons and discounting the sets that didn’t include a 1/8th tsp measure.

I posted this question on Reddit, and wow did I get a response:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/s/uzjkj2mpgJ

I’ve taken to eyeballing everything. A 1/4 teaspoon of anything is small enough that a few granules one way or another isn’t something I would notice. But, many people of the 52 who responded not only use a 1/4 teaspoon measure, but several use a 1/8 teaspoon measure.

Please, if you are in this group, I am very curious to hear your perspective. Some of the things they mentioned measuring out were potent things, like cayenne pepper. But, even in that case, I still wouldn’t get my 1/4 teaspoon measure out.
Yeah...I'm eyeballing, and I'm surprised you weren't eyerolling at them!!!

I use it if I make spice mixes..
I'm very careful with stuff like cream of tartar or kashmiri chili powder.

These were the sort of things that were mentioned most often. Some people make smoothies one at a time, which can have smaller portions. And, spice blends require precision if you want them to taste a specific way.

These answers help because now I know why I don’t use a 1/4 teaspoon measure:

1. I’m not that worried if my Chinese five spice blend isn’t authentic.

2. If something has too much heat, or is the wrong consistency, I will add more of the other items to balance it out.

in all cases, what matters most to me is if it tastes good. If I overpower something inadvertently, I take it as a learning experience.

Because of this, I understand exactly why it got such a response. Most of those responses were in the first day. One of the catalysts to me joining this forum was because I made the mistake once of saying what I like to put in a gumbo on discusscooking.com. Two people on the forum took my post to mean that I was somehow an authority, even though I said that was never my intent. They then decided to seek out every post I made after that, and attacked me for claiming to be an expert each time, which I never did.

In other words, there are some people who think that stating an opinion means that you are therefore saying that other ways are wrong. I know that people on this forum don’t believe that, which is why I love it so much. I am Mr.Inconsistent when it comes to measurements, which is fine until I try to reproduce a recipe. LOL

I’ll add that sometimes I use the measuring spoons because it’s easier to get the spices/herbs out of the jar.

If I’m going to eyeball an amount, I can’t do that by shaking/dumping straight from the jar, I have to dump it into my hand to gauge the amount, and some days, it’s just easier to dip the spoon in there, pull some out, and say, “close enough” if it’s a little heaped or a little shy.

Baking I view as precise and would break out a 1/4 tsp for that everything else I eyeball or same as tasty half fill a 1/2 tsp (if Im already using it) to save washing up.
Agreed, baking is more of a science. I do have to do a little flexibility with ingredients and rise times though when baking bread due to changes in humidity and temperature in my house.

I’ll add that sometimes I use the measuring spoons because it’s easier to get the spices/herbs out of the jar.

If I’m going to eyeball an amount, I can’t do that by shaking/dumping straight from the jar, I have to dump it into my hand to gauge the amount, and some days, it’s just easier to dip the spoon in there, pull some out, and say, “close enough” if it’s a little heaped or a little shy.
Yeah I don't like measuring wet ingredients, like mayonnaise or oils because they it's harder to clean the measuring cups and spoons after. Plus if using dry ingredients in the measuring cup you can measure another dry ingredient in it after, but with wet ingredients, nope.

Yep, I use it. We also have the smaller tad, pinch, drop, smidgeon and dash measuring spoons which we use when making yoghurt (so most weeks). They just happen to be the right size for 2L of yoghurt and also the probiotic mixture that gets added to it.

17107929144428004384881459657136.jpg

Back
Top Bottom