Donating to charity.

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
12:15 PM
I want to donate to a charity but am unsure which one, so many worthwhile and needy charities out there that it makes choosing very difficult.
If I chose 1 then I would feel guilty about not choosing another, maybe alternating is the answer. Hmm....difficult choice.

Last time I donated money was to the Lebanese Red Cross. Before that I donated to the White Helmets.

caseydog thanks for the link, this year I wanted to donate to an organization supporting education in Africa but I'm struggling to find one that seems legit.

We only do a couple, Salvation Army because they helped us out as youngsters. When mum passed away we rang them and gave the whole house lot of furniture and contents. About $10 k to .$20 k?
We of course kept momentos. Cancer society are regular as are Ronald McDonald house. My daughter helps out cooking at rmcd house also.
UNICEF Red Cross etc are a no no here. Like caseydog says, too many overheads.

Russ

I want to donate to a charity but am unsure which one, so many worthwhile and needy charities out there that it makes choosing very difficult.
If I chose 1 then I would feel guilty about not choosing another, maybe alternating is the answer. Hmm....difficult choice.
Try to find a local independent charity. Lower spend on admin and marketing, more of your donation reaches those in need.

I donate to local food banks, I can see what they do there and we're in dire need of them. You'd think we got no need of them for having welfare and benefits for all, but benefits are so low that people actually go hungry. It's a shame for such a wealthy country.

I involuntarily give to the IRS charity. :peekaboo: Seriously research the charity. I specifically look to see how much goes to "Admin" and how much is actually given to those that the charity is intended for. As far as animal charities, I would only give to "No Kill Shelters" for pets and wildlife rehab facilities.

As far as animal charities, I would only give to "No Kill Shelters" for pets and wildlife rehab facilities.
Yep, that's what ours is. About once a quarter, I'll buy a couple of big bags of kibble, a couple of big boxes of wet food, and treats/biscuits (for both cats and dogs), and go drop it off at the shelter.

I've gotten out of the habit, and I need to get back into it, but I used to keep a big box in the trunk of MrsT's car, and every time I'd go grocery-shopping, I'd buy one or two things extra, like a bag of rice and a can of soup, or cereal and a cake mix, then put them in that box.

When the box was full...I'd stop in at the local food bank and drop it off. Easy way to collect stuff without feeling put out.

I've donated probably a literal ton of clothes over the years to the homeless shelter in town. Also, whenever I buy underwear/socks, I buy a pack for them. That's always high on their list of what they need.

Lately, Goodwill's been getting all my stuff, though.

Back
Top Bottom