Donuts

The doughnuts I get most frequently, though, are from Der Dutchmen, about an hour away, Amish-style bakery and restaurant. I like theirs as much as anyone’s, and it’s a lazy country drive up a quiet backroad to get there, no interstate/motorway.
I have seen the Der Dutchman in Walnut Creek when traveling for work. I was always busy getting to the next location so I never stopped. I think there might be more than one location in Ohio, though.
Oh, I can help you there. They also have p!ss-poor breakfast sandwiches and substandard lunch wraps. :laugh:
Fantastic! Not.

I have seen the Der Dutchman in Walnut Creek when traveling for work. I was always busy getting to the next location so I never stopped. I think there might be more than one location in Ohio, though.
They do have more than one in Ohio, and one in Florida, and one in Indiana (that I know of).

There used to be one not 15 minutes from me, in Waynesville, but it burned down and they chose not to rebuild, which I never understood, because that place was packed all the time. When my in-laws came to visit, they demanded going to Der Dutchman several times over their two-week visits.

Matter of fact, now that I think of it, the first time I brought FiancéT home to meet my family, my dad knew she liked Amish stuff, and he took us to Der Dutchman, and she loved it. Little did she know, 15 years later, she’d live within spitting distance of it, only to have it burn down a few years later.

I always thought their food was so-so, though their broasted chicken is good. Their best thing, IMO, is their bakery. Top-notch. Great bread, pies, whoopie pies, and doughnuts, and their doughnuts are huge and not terribly expensive.

One thing I did like - we’d go for breakfast, they’d have a buffet, which I normally don’t like, but I would get it because they’d take an assortment of their doughnuts, cut them up in little bite-sized pieces, put them in a serving dish, and you could just spoon up a bowl of doughnut bits to have, and this bit would be glazed, that bit would be fritter, and that other bit would be cream-filled. It was perfect! :laugh:

Here, most towns of any size have a doughnut shop - it’s one thing the chains haven’t managed to kill. In my town, it’s Combs Bakery. I’d post their website, but they’re FB only, so there isn’t much to see if you’re not on FB (which I’m not).

Cincinnati is large enough to have a few local legends, so to speak:

Busken Bakery • Cakes, Cookies, Donuts, Schnecken
Home | Servatii Pastry Shop
Home | holtmansdonuts

Holtman’s is probably my favorite for a doughnut, but I prefer Servatti’s for their cakes and pastries. Sadly, the founder of Servatti’s just passed away. The city was lucky to have him.

The doughnuts I get most frequently, though, are from Der Dutchmen, about an hour away, Amish-style bakery and restaurant. I like theirs as much as anyone’s, and it’s a lazy country drive up a quiet backroad to get there, no interstate/motorway.

Oh, I can help you there. They also have p!ss-poor breakfast sandwiches and substandard lunch wraps. :laugh:

Around Dallas, EVERY independent donut shop is owned by an Asian family. That and dry cleaners. :laugh:

There was a donut shop a block from our magazine office. I would go there about once a week, and always in a different press car. The older Asian couple that owned the place knew I worked for a car magazine, and would always ask, "How much is this one?" If it was something like a Mercedes or Bentley, I would tell them and they would have to go out and look at it. "How Much???"

CD

Back
Top Bottom