1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Yolkers

Discussion in 'Eggs, Cheese and Dairy' started by SatNavSaysStraightOn, Oct 11, 2017 at 1:38 AM.

1. SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn Veteran Staff Member

I have just had another one today. I had at least 2 last week, maybe more because I pickled the hard boiled eggs so didn't see inside them... But today I was peeling another batch for pickling and need 2 for my lunch so pulled a couple of freshly boiled eggs aside. Slicing it up for my lunch I came across this...

DSC_2053.JPG

If it continues then it looks like one of my new layers has a reproductive problem sadly, which means she will have a shorter laying life and could encounter medical problems along the way. These can easily be life threatening. But for now she's ok and with any luck if will settle in the next few weeks. All of my new layers are free range and organic since birth, so it's just one of those things. She does lay very long thin eggs.

Herbie, ElizabethB and Francesca like this.
  2. Francesca

Francesca Senior Member

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Very interesting .. Had no idea. Have never seen an egg with a double Yolk.

Hope all works out.

Have a nice day / evening ..

ElizabethB likes this.
  3. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I once had a whole box of eggs with double yolks. I haven't seen any in a while.

ElizabethB likes this.
  4. SatNavSaysStraightOn

Not a single egg until last week has been a double yolker, then 3 (minimum) in a row... I could also be going for a while box (dozen) at this rate. I'll keep you posted!

ElizabethB likes this.
  5. ElizabethB

ElizabethB Active Member

When dad was alive and raising chickens double yolks were not uncommon. I have not seen one in years.

6. SatNavSaysStraightOn

I got another one on Saturday.

ElizabethB likes this.
  7. SatNavSaysStraightOn

And I've just cut into another hard boiled egg to find its also a double yolker.
    This one was dated 10/10 so is 6 days old.

PSX_20171016_123034.jpg

ElizabethB likes this.
  8. SatNavSaysStraightOn

Yesterday I rounded up all the oversized eggs and hard boiled them...
    One of the two I had for lunch was a double yolker.
    Today both of the ones I had for brunch/lunch were double yolkers.
    One is from a pale brown shell layer and the other an average brown shell both with the same date on them, so I know I definitely have at least two girls laying double yolkers right now. I know the identity of one of the chickens, just not the other one, though I have my suspicions.

DSC_2065.JPG DSC_2066.JPG

ElizabethB likes this.