Dripping and grease

I think in the UK we're more likely to use grease as a verb rather than a noun: eg. grease and line your cake tins. I just call the solidified fat fat or lard.

I do actually save the fat from streaky bacon - but only because I've seen it mentioned here. I wonder if its not very common over here because back bacon is more popular and that's pretty lean so doesn't leave much behind. Whereas (I believe) the standard bacon in the US is streaky.

Whereas (I believe) the standard bacon in the US is streaky.

The bacon available here is:

UK STYLE LEAN BACK.........................................320 BAHT/KILO
UK STYLE MIDDLE...............................................320 BAHT/KILO
UK STYLE SMOKED LEAN BACK........................340 BAHT/KILO
UK STYLE SMOKED MIDDLE..............................340 BAHT/KILO
STREAKY SMOKED...............................................320 BAHT/KILO

The latter was previously called US STYLE STREAKY SMOKED which appears to concur with your understanding.

[Exchange rate currently £1.00 = ฿44.65]

Last edited:
I do actually save the fat from streaky bacon - but only because I've seen it mentioned here. I wonder if its not very common over here because back bacon is more popular and that's pretty lean so doesn't leave much behind.

I didn't know back bacon was more popular here. I use both. I have thought about saving the fat (because I've seen it mentioned on this forum) but it always seems to have dark brown bits in it which I think will just become burnt if I re-use it. And I'm really not going to start filtering it. To be honest a few rashers of streaky (grilled) don't really seem to yield a lot of fat.

In the UK, goose fat, duck fat, beef dripping and even Iberco pork fat are all available in jars from the supermarket. Lard is also easily available and cheap.

I didn't know back bacon was more popular here. I use both. I have thought about saving the fat (because I've seen it mentioned on this forum) but it always seems to have dark brown bits in it which I think will just become burnt if I re-use it. And I'm really not going to start filtering it. To be honest a few rashers of streaky (grilled) don't really seem to yield a lot of fat.

I don't collect and save the fat but I more than likely will subsequent fry other foods in it, mushrooms in particular, and when it comes to "dipping yer bread" there's nowt like it.

I don't collect and save the fat but I more than likely will subsequent fry other foods in it, mushrooms in particular, and when it comes to "dipping yer bread" there's nowt like it.

Do you cook yours in the halogen oven - that's usually how I do mine (on top of a piece of foil)?

Do you cook yours in the halogen oven - that's usually how I do mine (on top of a piece of foil)?

I have done but it depends upon what else I am cooking. If I'm frying other foods I'll use a flat bottomed pan on the hob.

I generate a lot of fat at work as you can well imagine..I cook two trays of bacon every day for my sandwich line...then, a roast of beef, and a couple of times a week I get some great smoked fat from my Kesselar, bacon, pork hocks..etc...
I like to sneak some of it in my roux when making some soups and gravy...we also sell a double stuffed potato that has bacon in the mix and I drizzle a bit of bacon grease on top before beginning the mixing process..
I have loads of trim from our steaks and want to make tallow some time for fun, but I never really know what I would do with it..

Whereas (I believe) the standard bacon in the US is streaky.
Yes, that is correct. If I want British-style bacon, I have to go to a specialty shop (and it’s labeled as Irish bacon).

For a short time, my po-dunk local Kroger carried it, presumably testing the market, and I bought every pack they had every time I saw it…and they still stopped carrying it. 😠

My container of bacon grease/fat/lard/pig liquor holds maybe a cup-and-a-half, which is good for the two of us, and stays in the fridge. Growing up, Mom kept it in a standard 2-lb coffee can, just always out in the stovetop, because she used it for nearly everything, including in place of butter on toast.

Yes, that is correct. If I want British-style bacon, I have to go to a specialty shop (and it’s labeled as Irish bacon).

For a short time, my po-dunk local Kroger carried it, presumably testing the market, and I bought every pack they had every time I saw it…and they still stopped carrying it. 😠

My container of bacon grease/fat/lard/pig liquor holds maybe a cup-and-a-half, which is good for the two of us, and stays in the fridge. Growing up, Mom kept it in a standard 2-lb coffee can, just always out in the stovetop, because she used it for nearly everything, including in place of butter on toast.
Ours was a soup can on the back of the stove..

To be honest, I never really knew the purpose of it because I wasn't really involved in the cooking at a young age..I think part of it was also that having grown up on a farm where pork was a big part of their lives, there was a lot of it around and the drainage in those old farm houses wasn't great..She might have saved it so it wouldn't go down the drain and solidify..

In my experience, a few little dark bits do not affect the flavor. It's not always necessary to strain it for sure. I generally pour it from the pan into a container and when I do, the heavier bits mostly stay behind in the pan.

Does anyone cook with duck fat? I have heard that duck fat fries are amazing.

Back
Top Bottom