Dry aging beef at home - have you done it?

caseydog

Local time
11:19 AM
I bought a mini fridge when I was waiting for my new fridge to arrive (about three months). I now have it gather dust in my garage. I am contemplating turning it into a dry aging fridge for beef.

I have seen YouTube videos on how to make one, but I am curious as to whether anyone here has actually done any home dry aging.

CD

yes. many times over many years.
it takes considerable "technology" to be safe if you're thinking 20-30-60 days.
however, I think it was Kenji Lopez-Alt did a panel trial of time vs. taste and found that essentially anything past 10 days is a diminishing return - unless you like your beef really gamey....

I just put the hunk on a plate covered with with a terry towel on the bottom shelf of the fridge. change the towel daily at first as bloody juices soak into the toweling..... 10 days and I'm good with it. no muss, no fuss - and it really does improve the meat (beef only)

Yes, I've just looked up my post about doing this - it was five years ago :eek:. We were late deciding on a rib of beef for New Year, and all we could get was some fairly anonymous supermarket stuff that was only aged for 21 days. I put in on a rack, over a drip tray in a backup fridge in the garage for a further two weeks. Every day I would turn it, and waft the door about a bit to give it some fresh air. After two weeks it just needed the outer layer scraping off and wiping with a dry cloth, and it was good to go. A beautiful gamey flavour - well worth the effort.

I bought a mini fridge when I was waiting for my new fridge to arrive (about three months). I now have it gather dust in my garage. I am contemplating turning it into a dry aging fridge for beef.

I have seen YouTube videos on how to make one, but I am curious as to whether anyone here has actually done any home dry aging.

CD
Yess!!! Me and my family have a dry aging fridge and we love it😍 Always feels like we are eating at some posh steak restaurant. Ours isn't homemade tho, we got it from a company called Steak Locker, its fab! I'm impressed if you're going to make one yourself though, make sure you posts pictures when it's done😀

Yess!!! Me and my family have a dry aging fridge and we love it😍 Always feels like we are eating at some posh steak restaurant. Ours isn't homemade tho, we got it from a company called Steak Locker, its fab! I'm impressed if you're going to make one yourself though, make sure you posts pictures when it's done😀

That link is to an American website. I thought you were in the UK. You have a dry aging fridge imported from America?

Last edited:

:ohmy: That's about ten times what I paid for my mini-fridge.

I moved it into the kitchen... a few months ago. I just need to get a tiny fan for air circulation, and give it a try.

CD

Back
Top Bottom