Dry Rub or Marinade?

Dry Rub or Marinade?

• Total voters

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
5:15 PM
When you cook, order out, ect.....do you generally prefer to cook/eat with a dry rub or a marinade?

I love dry rubs all the way. I rarely use a marinade. When I do I'm usually disappointed in it.

Anyways, just curious as to your thoughts on this.

I usually use a dry rub, but there are some recipes (like Tikka Masala) that require a marinade, so I marinade.

But, after thinking that a longer "soak" would mean more penetration of the marinade into the meat, I've learned that this simply isn't the case. A marinade rarely goes much below the surface. Here's an article on the topic for those who want to know more. Here's my favorite quote from that article:

This is based on the same science that leads some to believe that marinating "tenderizes." Acid does denature protein -- it unwinds the tightly balled strands -- and that does make meat softer.

But remember that marinades rarely penetrate beyond the surface. So what is actually happening is that the outside of the meat is becoming overly tender -- mealy -- while the inside remains mostly untouched.

My use of rubs, marinades and brines are based on what I'm trying to achieve. Whole poultry, IMO, benefits from brine as it helps keep the meat moist during long cooks.

My use of rubs, marinades and brines are based on what I'm trying to achieve. Whole poultry, IMO, benefits from brine as it helps keep the meat moist during long cooks.

I definitely use brines when I'm cooking whole chickens and Turkey's

+1.
It depends on the dish.

I almost always marinate but recently I tried a chicken "rub" Creloe style. I've saved about half of the spice mixture but the next time I use it I'll mix it with pureed garlic and pureed onion so it will most likely end up as a marinade (adding olive oil).

@morning glory : I can't remember if I've ever marinated fish. I know my wife does but I don't usually eat the fish that she eats.

I almost always marinate but recently I tried a chicken "rub" Creloe style. I've saved about half of the spice mixture but the next time I use it I'll mix it with pureed garlic and pureed onion so it will most likely end up as a marinade (adding olive oil).

@morning glory : I can't remember if I've ever marinated fish. I know my wife does but I don't usually eat the fish that she eats.

If it is paste like, I'd call it a wet rub. I make a simple wet rub with just garlic, salt and cumin. It is great for pork roast done Cuban style.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/cuban-style-pork-roast.11491/

Back
Top Bottom