Easter feasting 2022

I'll add that this is actually the only chocolate it sweets in the house. Other 'snacks' in this house constitute dehydrated pear or plum slices and chili flavoured faba beans. There is ice cream in the freezer, but just the 1 tub. That's pretty much it.

And yeah, it was overkill this year. normally we have 2 eggs each (so 200g of chocolate) and nothing more. One of the reasons for the excess is that a company we use a lot lost $½million (AUD) of uninsured stock (at least uninsured from flooding) in the recent Queensland floods, so by buying from them rather than locally, we were helping them out, plus a $200 in gift cards that we'll use later in the year. They have 2 other shops not affected. Gift cards to use later in the year have become the way of getting these shops back on their feet and helping out without losing out yourself. Hubby hadn't realised that I'd purchased directly from them when the same eggs are available from the local supermarket.

I think they are one of the most unpleasant foodstuffs ever invented. Enough said!

I have always disliked Cadbury eggs. Too sweet for me even when I was a child.

What I do like at Easter is a good hot cross bun. Here are some I made previously:
View attachment 83611

And I never like hot cross buns, either. Too many raisins.

Update on Lu's post about the company easter eggs. They have both been devoured, I feel slightly sick.

What kind of eggs. My favorite egg comes direct from the chicken. (Or the duck...)

And I never like hot cross buns, either. Too many raisins.
What kind of eggs. My favorite egg comes direct from the chicken. (Or the duck...)
I don't like raisins at all. Never had a hot cross bun before.

Pretty sure TVC is talking about candy eggs...

Like some others here, I don't celebrate Easter, either.

Raised Catholic but left that (and Christianity) back in the very late 70s, reasons don't belong here. Eventually became Pagan, so I do believe in some form of spiritual practice.

I grew up with Easter, and enjoy my memories of dying Easter eggs with Mom. She and Dad would hide them Saturday night, and we'd hunt around the house (or the yard) for them. That was our breakfast. There would be a basket of chocolate and jelly beans for each of us kids. Dad ate all my jelly beans (I always disliked those, too! - they were probably in there because my parents knew I wouldn't eat them, but Dad would....) There would be the milk chocolate Easter bunny (hollow), and I'd tyoically eat hm butt first and up, tuil I got to the head, then I'd eat the ears. Finally, the head itself.

We usually had leg of lamb for Easter. I love lamb. Very occasionally, a ham, especially if we had company that I am guessing didn't like lamb. One year Dad talked Mom into doing rabbit. Mom had spent years resisting eating The Easter Bunny on Easter - even though she otherwise liked rabbit. But one year, Dad won out.

Mom was the devout Catholic, Dad was agnostic verging on atheist.

This year, the Community is hosting an Easter Egg hunt for the kiddos in town - last two years were cancelled over COVID. They got some people together yesterday to put together baskets of sords. I was interested in helping out until I learned no real eggs would be involved in the hunt. What fun is that??? No, they'd stuff plastic "eggs" with junk and trash.

The Easter "Egg" gathering is today at 11. I will show up to be sociable.

A couple friends had discussed doing an Easter meal together this Sunday, but since the timing was late (as regards to shopping for foods) we'll save it for next year. I could probably scare up stuff from my freezer, however. I'll run into them over at the event at eleven.

Like some others here, I don't celebrate Easter, either.

Raised Catholic but left that (and Christianity) back in the very late 70s, reasons don't belong here. Eventually became Pagan, so I do believe in some form of spiritual practice.

I grew up with Easter, and enjoy my memories of dying Easter eggs with Mom. She and Dad would hide them Saturday night, and we'd hunt around the house (or the yard) for them. That was our breakfast. There would be a basket of chocolate and jelly beans for each of us kids. Dad ate all my jelly beans (I always disliked those, too! - they were probably in there because my parents knew I wouldn't eat them, but Dad would....) There would be the milk chocolate Easter bunny (hollow), and I'd tyoically eat hm butt first and up, tuil I got to the head, then I'd eat the ears. Finally, the head itself.

We usually had leg of lamb for Easter. I love lamb. Very occasionally, a ham, especially if we had company that I am guessing didn't like lamb. One year Dad talked Mom into doing rabbit. Mom had spent years resisting eating The Easter Bunny on Easter - even though she otherwise liked rabbit. But one year, Dad won out.

Mom was the devout Catholic, Dad was agnostic verging on atheist.

This year, the Community is hosting an Easter Egg hunt for the kiddos in town - last two years were cancelled over COVID. They got some people together yesterday to put together baskets of sords. I was interested in helping out until I learned no real eggs would be involved in the hunt. What fun is that??? No, they'd stuff plastic "eggs" with junk and trash.

The Easter "Egg" gathering is today at 11. I will show up to be sociable.

A couple friends had discussed doing an Easter meal together this Sunday, but since the timing was late (as regards to shopping for foods) we'll save it for next year. I could probably scare up stuff from my freezer, however. I'll run into them over at the event at eleven.
Isn't it amazing how we ate room temperature (or warmer) hard boiled eggs that hadn't been refrigerated in quite some time but didn't get sick?

I like jelly beans ok except the licorice flavored ones. I wouldn't go out of my way for them.

I am not sure what you refer to?
Earlier, Lulu mentioned that she’s seen Easter crackers for sale - like Christmas crackers, but for Easter (you know, the things you pull, they pop and have a joke, a prize, and a tissue party hat inside).

Here, at least, stollen is associated purely with Christmas, so having stollen at Easter is like having a Christmas cracker at Easter. :)

Earlier, Lulu mentioned that she’s seen Easter crackers for sale - like Christmas crackers, but for Easter (you know, the things you pull, they pop and have a joke, a prize, and a tissue party hat inside).

Here, at least, stollen is associated purely with Christmas, so having stollen at Easter is like having a Christmas cracker at Easter. :)
Ah, okay. Thats why I didn't get it . I thought you were talking about crackers made from stollen :laugh:
But here they're traditional for both Christmas and Easter.

Back
Top Bottom