Eating around the world

I've been lucky enough to have visited more than 40 countries and one of the things that people often ask is whether I managed to find enough veggie food. Well, since I appear to be still living, the answer is probably yes.

Admittedly, there are places where you have to search a bit, but most cities and big towns have vegetarian restaurants, or at least vegetarian options. I suppose it can be a bit tougher if you are stuck in a remote area, but I've always found that people are very helpful and will manage to knock up something that avoids meat.

I lived in Eritrea for two years and managed to avoid anything meaty (okay, I might have swallowed the odd fly). I suppose that being able to cook my own food was a distinct help. I've worked in a couple of other countries in sub-Saharan Africa and been more reliant on restaurants, but even then, it's not so difficult.

I've never been to southern India, but I'd guess that is an easy place to find veggie food. Sri Lanka certainly fits the bill.

I'd be interested to hear the experience of other vegetarian wayfarers.
Most developed countries have an awareness of being vegetarian. I think more and more restaurants are featuring vegetarian foods and dishes on their menu. I think for those who want to be vegetarians in almost any part of the world it is getting easier and easier. Even if entrees are not marked on the regular menu, asking for veg options is probably the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom