Eating in the Fifties in UK.

I was brought up on curry (my granddad spent a lot of time in India), and we used to eat vermicelli rather than spaghetti or other pasta. And we did have a real pineapple once at Christmas time. We also had Hovis rolls - you remember, the ones that looked like miniature loaves. You used to buy olive oil from the chemists.

That is unusual - to be brought up with curry. What kind of curries did you have. Are we talking about the fifties?

Fish fingers used to bright orange!! So much colourant to make them attractive to children I suppose.
The outside breadcrumbs you mean? I think they still are quite orange (and these are the gluten free ones)!

IDShot_540x540-10.jpg

Last edited:
That is unusual - to be brought up with curry. What kind of curries did you have. Are we talking about the fifties?
Yes it was in the 50s. My granddad lived with us for a while (he died in 1954). I used to get given rice with the sauce. It was a some time before I had any meat (usually beef, but occasionally lamb) in mine, and it was usually left over meat from the Sunday roast (which I didn't get either - I had Yorkshire pudding with evaporated milk). Chicken and some of the rabbits, even though we kept our own, were reserved for Christmas. Don't forget a lot of foods were still on ration when I was a youngster :D

Yes it was in the 50s. My granddad lived with us for a while (he died in 1954). I used to get given rice with the sauce. It was a some time before I had any meat (usually beef, but occasionally lamb) in mine, and it was usually left over meat from the Sunday roast (which I didn't get either - I had Yorkshire pudding with evaporated milk). Chicken and some of the rabbits, even though we kept our own, were reserved for Christmas. Don't forget a lot of foods were still on ration when I was a youngster :D

Fascinating... whereabouts were you brought up? Was it in the countryside?

Back
Top Bottom