Recipe Eggplant Balls

Sandra

Über Member
Local time
12:09 PM
When I cook for pleasure, and not when I have to do it, the dish must respond to all 5 senses. The most difficult for the guests is to perceive hearing (not while cooking), so I like to put, if possible, something crunchy.
polpette di melanzane.jpg

Ingredients:
600/700 g aubergine (eggplant)
100 g breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1 bunch of parsley
1 clove of garlic
nutmeg
salt
pepper
extra virgin olive oil

For breading:
breadcrumbs
paprika
turmeric
sesame

Method:
For eggplantsballs: wash and dry the eggplants. Remove the petiole and place them in a baking pan lined with baking paper. Cook at 200 ° for 1 hour. Let them cool, remove the peel and cut them into pieces. Transfer the pulp to a colander and press to remove all the water. Mix together the eggplant pulp, the eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic and parsley. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Form many small balls with your hands.

Pass a third of the eggplantsballs in a plate with the breadcrumbs mixed with turmeric, a third with breadcrumbs and paprika and the remaining third with breadcrumbs and sesame. Then transfer them to a baking pan lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with olive oil and cook in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes.
preparazione polpette.jpg

N.B To make eggplantballs without egg you can use soft inside of bread slightly wet (about 100 grams) and bread crumbs

@Sandra,

Absolutely amazingly dazzling appetisers .. I had these a very long time ago, during a trip to the autonomous región of Puglia ( Apulia ) at a restaurant in the Lecce, Región .. I had never prepared them before but I have the récipe which is the same as your´s more or less by memory .. Lecce is known for its various Eggplant or Aubergine dishes ..

These look fabulous !

Have a lovely holiday season ahead ..

What an interesting way to prepare aubergine. Despite my cooking experience an voracious reading of recipes I haven't ever come across aubergine balls! I simply must try them. :D

@morning glory

I am big on eggplant and this appetiser is simply scrumptuous ..

And fairly simple to prepare too ..

A perfect vegetarian appetiser ..

I prepare a Marinara for dipping ..

@Sandra,

Absolutely amazingly dazzling appetisers .. I had these a very long time ago, during a trip to the autonomous región of Puglia ( Apulia ) at a restaurant in the Lecce, Región .. I had never prepared them before but I have the récipe which is the same as your´s more or less by memory .. Lecce is known for its various Eggplant or Aubergine dishes ..

These look fabulous !

Have a lovely holiday season ahead ..
Thank you @Francesca
My mother come from Puglia and I spend two weeks every sommer in this region. I cook so many dishes with eggplants but never in winter.
Have a lovely holiday season ahead too..

Last edited:
@Sandra,

If I recall, Eggplant is a Spring into Summer vegetable in Puglia, Italy and Spain as well ..

Another fave dish of mine from Puglia is: Melanzane di Lecce, Baked Eggplant with tomato, and the sautéed slices of eggplant with tomato sauce and fresh basil and Pecorino or Reggiano baked in oven .. Sort of a lasagna without the Pasta, layered eggplant ..

Have a very lovely holiday ahead ..
Buon Natale ..

Pass a third of the eggplantsballs in a plate with the breadcrumbs mixed with turmeric, a third with breadcrumbs and paprika and the remaining third with breadcrumbs and sesame.
I love it: at this point in the recipe, the cook can substitute any number of seasonings, and easily create a new flavor. This is really clever. I will definitely try to make this!

I love it: at this point in the recipe, the cook can substitute any number of seasonings, and easily create a new flavor. This is really clever. I will definitely try to make this!

@The Late Night Gourmet

These are simply stunning ! And love the "Brown wrap " presentation .. Very trendy here ..

Last edited:
Different flavors and colors. For me it is an important aspect. I wanted to do the Italian tricolor with a green seasoning but it seemed too much!:D

Back
Top Bottom