Eggs Benedict question

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
6:03 PM
I have never made this before and I'm gonna take a stab at it later tonight. My question is, is that I've seen 2 different methods of doing this, a double boiler and the tempering method. Has anyone made this before that knows which one is more "Puggle-proof" so I don't screw it up?

I have never made this before and I'm gonna take a stab at it later tonight. My question is, is that I've seen 2 different methods of doing this, a double boiler and the tempering method. Has anyone made this before that knows which one is more "Puggle-proof" so I don't screw it up?

How you make the poached egg is not that important. Do whatever works best for you.

I've made eggs Benedict several times, and it is not that hard. Making the Hollandaise sauce is the part most likely to fail, IMO.

CD

How you make the poached egg is not that important. Do whatever works best for you.

I've made eggs Benedict several times, and it is not that hard. Making the Hollandaise sauce is the part most likely to fail, IMO.

CD
That's what I was referring to, the eggs are the easy part for me. The Hollandaise sauce is what I'm concerned about

I use a reverse method with a stick blender and then put it over the lowest heat with a heat diffuser underneath the pan until its ready to serve.
Of course even then you can mess it up, I just have but the hollandaise was perfect until I left it on the heat and to my eye of it And stopped stirring 🙄

I usually out the hollandaise on the table with a single candle burner underneath it and let people ladle it on themselves, it’s very rich and some peeps like a dot of it and some like a couple of gallons 😆

The is the closest easy explanation I can find to how I do it. It’s the least number of steps possible (so minimises the risk of mistakes) and an immersion blender (stick blender) skips you over the hard parts.

This Foolproof Hollandaise Sauce Takes Just 2 Minutes to Make

Last edited:
Oh man, I ate the last of my salmon last night and I have spinach. I got Canadian bacon, I guess I can use some spinach with it too.
I wouldn’t over complicate it, on your first run ham or salmon is the safest bet.
The two time sensitive items are the hollandaise and the eggs. I tend to have everything ready to go and pop the muffins on (in a toaster) once I’m on the verge of poaching the eggs.
The hollandaise will keep for a bit on a very very low heat (so long as you continue to stir/whisk it) while you spend three mins focused on your eggs.

It’s essential to use a timer for the poaching and the toast will be done about 1 minute faster the eggs. This is fine, I give my lot their muffins to butter while the eggs are finishing.

I also pre-crack the side of the egg (and lay it on it’s side so all the egg white stays in) so it speeds up getting them all in the pan at the same time.

If you use ham you can wrap it in foil and put it on a plate warmer to warm it through without cooking it. It also means the ham isn’t time sensitive and can wait without deteriorating if you happen to need to go again on the eggs or hollandaise.

It goes without saying that it goes smoothly if all components are ready to go before you start.
So for me its-
Pan of water up to a vigorous boil and then turn to a simmer.
As an aside you do often have to temporarily go back up in heat to return to a simmer once the eggs go in but cooking poached eggs is another chapter 😆
Muffins split in two and waiting in the toaster.
Ham foiled and heating though on a plate warmer (I also do this with salmon but I’m wary that salmon isn’t quite as forgiving if left too long, although a lot of people serve salmon cold).
Pre-crack your eggs.
Make the hollandaise ready to go and on the lowest possible heat source with a diffuser and remove it from the heat anytime it starts to look like getting hot hot rather than staying warm.
Poach the eggs and hand out the muffins for buttering
Get assembly nice and fast and put the hollandaise on the table.

It is a lovely breakfast and worth the effort.

That's what I was referring to, the eggs are the easy part for me. The Hollandaise sauce is what I'm concerned about

Ah, I misread your question. :facepalm:

I use the blender method. I've only done it a few times (just learned bout it maybe a year ago), but it has not failed me.

CD

The two time sensitive items are the hollandaise and the eggs. I tend to have everything ready to go and pop the muffins on (in a toaster) once I’m on the verge of poaching the eggs.
The hollandaise will keep for a bit on a very very low heat (so long as you continue to stir/whisk it) while you spend three mins focused on your eggs.

It’s essential to use a timer for the poaching and the toast will be done about 1 minute faster the eggs. This is fine, I give my lot their muffins to butter while the eggs are finishing.

I also pre-crack the side of the egg (and lay it on it’s side so all the egg white stays in) so it speeds up getting them all in the pan at the same time.

If you use ham you can wrap it in foil and put it on a plate warmer to warm it through without cooking it. It also means the ham isn’t time sensitive and can wait without deteriorating if you happen to need to go again on the eggs or hollandaise.

It goes without saying that it goes smoothly if all components are ready to go before you start.
So for me its-
Pan of water up to a vigorous boil and then turn to a simmer.
As an aside you do often have to temporarily go back up in heat to return to a simmer once the eggs go in but cooking poached eggs is another chapter 😆
Muffins split in two and waiting in the toaster.
Ham foiled and heating though on a plate warmer (I also do this with salmon but I’m wary that salmon isn’t quite as forgiving if left too long, although a lot of people serve salmon cold).
Pre-crack your eggs.
Make the hollandaise ready to go and on the lowest possible heat source with a diffuser and remove it from the heat anytime it starts to look like getting hot hot rather than staying warm.
Poach the eggs and hand out the muffins for buttering
Get assembly nice and fast and put the hollandaise on the table.

It is a lovely breakfast and worth the effort.

If I had never made eggs Benedict, and read this, I'd probably decide to not make it. :eek:

I don't think I've ever had to put that much effort into making it. However, I do agree that mise en place is important... for cooking most dishes.

CD

Canadian bacon can be treated exactly like ham. 🤷‍♂️

CD
If it’s like the back bacon we have here it’s not the same as ham by any stretch.
Once back bacon is cooked if you try and keep it warm for any time it will toughen and dry as it waits.
Ham stays moist and pliable. Eggs Benedict is all about the soft textures.

I have made it with bacon steaks (served straight from the pan) and the consensus was thinly sliced warmed ham was better.
I’ve also made it with rare cooked (sliced) steak and it was ok but the egg and ham or egg and salmon combo just works.

Back
Top Bottom