Recipe Eggs Kejriwal

Elawin

Guru
Local time
4:22 PM
This is a recipe from the book "Fresh India" by Meera Sodha. It is a classic Mumbai breakfast dish, although it makes a delicious light lunch.

Serves 2

Ingredients:

4 door stopper slices of good bread
Colman's mustard
1-2 green finger chillies, sliced paper thin
200 g Lincolnshire Poacher or mature Cheddar, grated
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 medium eggs
Salt and ground black pepper

Method:

1. Pre-heat the grill to a medium to high heat.
  2. Lightly toast the bread in a toaster, or put a frying pan over a medium heat and pan-fry each side for a minute or two. Spread each slice with a thin layer of mustard.
  3. Mix three-quarters of the chilli into the cheese and layer over the toast, then pop under the grill until the cheese starts to blister and brown. Transfer to plates when ready.
  4. In the meantime, melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the eggs until the whites have set but the yolks are still runny. Place on the cheese toasts.
  5. Sprinkle a little salt over the top, along with a decent amount of black pepper and the remaining chilli, and serve immediately.
WP_20170613_14_47_54_Pro.jpg

My photo. I managed to break one of the yolks as I cooked the eggs, so one yolk was not so runny at the other one. TBH I preferred that one; the other one was a bit too runny for me.

Can you post a picture of the chili?
We have a dozen different chilis here that would fit your description.

@Elawin,

Could Maille Dijon or Maille Dijon l´ Ancienne ( aged ) be a substitute for Colman´s Mustard ?

Also, what other cow varieties of cheese could you substitute for cheddar ?

Any hard cheese of any variety preferred with a low melting point ?

The idea is wonderful but I do not have ready Access to Colman´s and never even Heard of this Brand, and cheddar is one of the few cheeses I am not crazy about and it is imported and thus, triple the cost of our local cheeses or Italian or French cheeses ..

Swiss Gruyére could work well or Asiago or Beaufort or Comté ..

@Elawin,

Could Maille Dijon or Maille Dijon l´ Ancienne ( aged ) be a substitute for Colman´s Mustard ?

Also, what other cow varieties of cheese could you substitute for cheddar ?

Any hard cheese of any variety preferred with a low melting point ?

The idea is wonderful but I do not have ready Access to Colman´s and never even Heard of this Brand, and cheddar is one of the few cheeses I am not crazy about and it is imported and thus, triple the cost of our local cheeses or Italian or French cheeses ..

Swiss Gruyére could work well or Asiago or Beaufort or Comté ..
Sorry, I just copied the recipe as it was in the cookery book. Dijon mustard is a direct substitute for English mustard, although it may not be as hot. Any matured, hard cheese that melts can be used instead of Cheddar, so choose one you like the flavour of.

Cofresh brand! I have other frozen produce from them (okra) but haven't seen the chillies. Are they very hot chillies? They look bigger than birds-eye chilli.
I have only just opened the pack (it's been in my freezer for a while, but I'd run out of fresh green chillies). They do have a bit of a bite to them :D. I got them from Tesco, but don't know whether they stock them regularly; they often don't even have the okra. I find this a bit strange, as our local Tesco has quite a large international section - my main reason for having to nip over there every now and then because online they don't seem to have much at all.

Back
Top Bottom