Electric Skillet

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
7:44 PM
Anyone use an electric skillet?

I have an overly expensive one that I bought decades ago. Likes - it’s very heavy and completely submersible. Dislikes - it was more than my car payment when I bought it.

About the only time I use it is when I’m making French onion soup, which I’m doing today:

IMG_7599.jpeg

I made hot wings in it once that were incredible, but I lost the recipe.

Anyone else use one of the used-to-be-kitchen-staples?

Anyone use an electric skillet?

I have an overly expensive one that I bought decades ago. Likes - it’s very heavy and completely submersible. Dislikes - it was more than my car payment when I bought it.

About the only time I use it is when I’m making French onion soup, which I’m doing today:

View attachment 110222

I made hot wings in it once that were incredible, but I lost the recipe.

Anyone else use one of the used-to-be-kitchen-staples?

It's no wonder that it's expensive!! Stainless steel is expensive!! Hah!! :ninja:

I thought about getting one, but THIS unit can suffice as an electric skillet!! It' a deep pot also, a soup / stew pot, slow cooker, rice cooker, boiler & a deep fryer!! Who could ask for more?!! Hah!!! :whistling:
Presto Electric Cooker..jpg

No, this is a much older thing.
Maybe these days they've improved the "heat" element, but mine will only heat up to a sort of medium. No good for stir fries.

It's never been a staple here, most folk I know wouldn't have a clue what one was 😂

I got one though, used it twice (once when we ran out of gas so that was handy) and then it gather dust and I gave it away!
I did the same. Mine didn't cook evenly towards the end. I used it more than twice but I did give it away.
I thought about getting one, but THIS unit can suffice as an electric skillet!! It' a deep pot also, a soup / stew pot, slow cooker, rice cooker, boiler & a deep fryer!! Who could ask for more?!! Hah!!! :whistling:
View attachment 110224
My electric skillet had more flat surface area so I could make pancakes in it, 6-8 at a time. When I had 4 kids at home it came in handy. Yours is too narrow and deep for that.

Now I just make pancakes on the stove top since I'm cooking for 2 people, not 6.

I did the same. Mine didn't cook evenly towards the end. I used it more than twice but I did give it away.

My electric skillet had more flat surface area so I could make pancakes in it, 6-8 at a time. When I had 4 kids at home it came in handy. Yours is too narrow and deep for that.

Now I just make pancakes on the stove top since I'm cooking for 2 people, not 6.
Flat skillet..jpg

Umm, you were saying? Hah!! I have this type that suffices very well for things like pancakes, bacon, sausages & scrambled eggs, as well as for grilled sammies. I also have a 12" & 8" cast iron skillets, so don't be so quick to "condem me to the darkest corners of the kitchen cupboard", like karadekoolaid said above. Hah!!! :whistling:

Last edited:
That's electric? Doesn't look electric. That one won't cook 8 pancakes, either, lol.
It's not. It's used on the stovetop, & I don't need to cook 8 pancakes unless the kids come over who I know & I take them to McDonald's for breakfast. They'll probably be going there on Wednesday morning, since they're on school vacation this week. Hah!!! :whistling:

It's not. It's used on the stovetop, & I don't need to cook 8 pancakes unless the kids come over who I know & I take them to McDonald's for breakfast. They'll probably be going there on Wednesday morning, since they're on school vacation this week. Hah!!! :whistling:
Like I wrote, I only cook pancakes for 2 people now and do it on my stove top. And yes, I do it on a griddle.

My point was that the electric appliance you posted wasn't suitable for making pancakes.

I gave my electric skillet away 10 years ago.

skillet.jpg

(photo curtesy of walmart.com)
I have this one ☝️
It was cheap and works okay for what I use it for, it was something like $20USD I think.
I do shallow frying in it, outside, so there's no big mess to clean up in the kitchen, or smells.
It does a decent job on chicken cutlets aka katsu 🥰
HMMM, me thinks that's what's for dinner tomorrow !!!

My mom had one way back in the day - it was avocado green, must have been from the 1970s. She used it for making chicken cacciatore, and that was it. She must have gotten rid of it at some point.

Interestingly, my physiotherapist actually has one in her office! She fills it with water and uses it to heat up the thermal plastic she uses to make splints.

Like I wrote, I only cook pancakes for 2 people now and do it on my stove top. And yes, I do it on a griddle.

My point was that the electric appliance you posted wasn't suitable for making pancakes.

I gave my electric skillet away 10 years ago.
I never once said that it was suitable for making pancakes. :ninja:

Back
Top Bottom