Emergency: Greasproof paper alternatives for Christmas Cake I am cooking right now?

I was wondering about the white stuff since our fruit cakes are typically left naked.

DON'T WORRY....

ahhh caps attack... mine has been in the oven since 10:15am this morning. It is now 4:45pm and I was meant to be cooking a pie for tea!
I have put a foil cap on it and turned the oven up from Gas 1 which my thermometer is showing as 110C which could explain a lot, to gas 3 and am waiting to smell something. A knife test has shown it to be quite raw in the middle! Ahhghh It is not going to cook in time to go to be at this rate!

I wasn't sure if it was icing, frosting, or fondant. Or sugary flavored shortening/lard. Any of them still looked out of place on a fruitcake.
They taste out of place too! I think the practice of putting icing on began as a statement of wealth, hence the phrase "the icing on the cake" meaning the best part of something. I have always hated it, along with the under layer of almond marzipan that always goes with it. I much prefer Dundee cake ☺

They taste out of place too! I think the practice of putting icing on began as a statement of wealth, hence the phrase "the icing on the cake" meaning the best part of something. I have always hated it, along with the under layer of almond marzipan that always goes with it. I much prefer Dundee cake ☺
I can't bear it either. But then I don't like anything sweet. I can just about accept a small piece of dark fruit cake along with some cheese.

I don't like marzipan either. Icing on Christmas cake is ok, but not great.

I too prefer it without and I don't see the need to decorate the cake in this manner. I like the idea of using whole nuts on the tip of the cake instead and serving the cake with a good slab of Wensleydale cheese!

We don't actually decorate the cake after cooking it.
I line the base with a circular pattern of blanched almonds aiming to match what I put on the top which is a cherry in the centre and then 3 rings of blached almonds starting in a clock face pattern and filling it in. it is similar to that of a Dundee cake only I don't do the condensed milk on the tip in the last half hour of coming mostly because until now I haven't been able to locate any dairy free condensed milk. I now actually have 2 options available to me here, one coconut based and the other a soya milk based one.

Did your cake cook alright in the end?
It did thank you. I cooked it the following day. it was slightly overcooked on the outside and just right in the middle. a tad dry as well I think but we will find out in a couple of weeks.
It's the fun and games of learning a new oven and I'm not certain that the gas jets were changed to be able lpg jet rather the mains jets that they will have come as. it's something to look at soon I think.

Back
Top Bottom