Ever Been To A Restaurant/Bar Featured On A Makeover Show?

OhioTom76

Guru
Local time
10:33 PM
I watch a lot of the reality TV makeover shows where they fix failing restaurants and bars. There have been several restaurants and bars in our neck of the woods which have been overhauled, and it's kind of fun seeing the local news cover the whole TV crew coming into town and meeting everyone and filming everything.

Most recently, two local bars in my hometown of Youngstown, Ohio were/are going to be featured on Spike TV's "Bar Rescue". The first of the two aired last night, focusing on one of the oldest bars in the area, Royal Oaks. Admittedly I haven't been there yet since they remodeled it after the show, but it's only been about two months since they filmed it to the date it aired. They came out this past August to shoot the episode.

I watched the episode this morning (sorry, but nothing gets between me and The Walking Dead on Sunday nights), and was pretty pleased to see that they didn't really seem to over dramatize or do anything particularly misleading for TV. The camera work however did make the place seem much larger than it really is - the place is super tiny in reality. It was also a bit amusing how they kept to tight shots of the bar from the outside - it's in a bad area, and the "scenery" around there (run down and abandoned houses, stripped of their siding) isn't exactly pretty. Instead, the supplemented the episode with some limited shots of the downtown area - which is understandable I guess.

I have not been to a restaurant or bar in need of "rescue" to my knowledge, but I don't watch that show much. One restaurant I want to go to in this area though is called the Greenwood I think is the name, it doesn't look like much on the outside, at all, pretty non descript almost dumpy, but people say it serves a fantastic steak. I guess it goes to show, you can't always judge a book by it's cover! probably good rule of thumb!

My second chef appeared on a Gordon Ramsey kitchen nightmare about 8 years ago ,he said the whole experience is a nightmare,bring the place down then build it up

Back
Top Bottom