Favorite Combinations

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
9:00 AM
My lunch today had me thinking of favorite combinations, those food items that dictate they must be consumed with another food item, or else the dish is somehow incomplete.

Some have a history, like pizza and beer, cheeseburgers and fries, or apple pie and vanilla ice cream, but there are others that may not seem so classic. That’s what I want to know about.

My lunch today…Campbell’s Bean with Bacon soup. Without even thinking about it, I made a peanut butter sandwich to eat with it, but made specifically with one piece of bread, folded over. That’s how I’ve always eaten bean with bacon soup, so for me, I can’t imagine one without the other.

For my wife, I would say her top one is egg noodles and mashed potatoes. If I’m making egg noodles, I know I have to make mashed potatoes, or she won’t even eat the noodles.

What about you? What things do you simply have to eat together?

When I have chicken fried steak, I have to have mashed potatoes and fried okra on the side with plenty of white gravy for everything.

Pizza and (non-alcohol) beer is another food "tradition" for me.

CD

For me, it's steamed white rice with shoyu (soy sauce) and if available (which it is always in our house), furikake.
IMG_1137.JPG

This is just one of our favorite meal combos, kara'age chicken, my quick cucumber kim chee (or kimchi, whatever), on the rare occasion I make my copycat Zippy's Restaurant Macaroni Salad and then a nice scoop of rice.

Back
Top Bottom