Favorite food when you are ill

When I am ill I take lots of soup. My favorite is asparagus and mushroom soup. I don't take solids much when I am unwell as I am unable to chew anything.

We lived in Ethiopia a number of years ago. I had just been there a couple of weeks and I came down with who knows what it was. All I know is i felt like crap and could barely move. We had a house boy who was friends with another house boy not far from us. One day he came in my room with a bowl of cream of potato soup. He told me his friend's boss know I was sick (my house boy had told him, and he told her) so she sent me the soup. Ever since then, whenever I am not feeling well, I make cream of potato soup. It makes me think of Jan Baker and how she sent a woman she did not know the cream of potato soup. We became good friends and stayed in touch for many years.

We lived in Ethiopia a number of years ago. I had just been there a couple of weeks and I came down with who knows what it was. All I know is i felt like crap and could barely move. We had a house boy who was friends with another house boy not far from us. One day he came in my room with a bowl of cream of potato soup. He told me his friend's boss know I was sick (my house boy had told him, and he told her) so she sent me the soup. Ever since then, whenever I am not feeling well, I make cream of potato soup. It makes me think of Jan Baker and how she sent a woman she did not know the cream of potato soup. We became good friends and stayed in touch for many years.
Potato soup sounds so comforting. Did you lose touch with her, then?

I'm a traditionalist so I like Chicken Soup with a side of chocolates. LOL

When you're sick you always want to feel better and this soup really does the trick it has carrots, celery, onions and any other vegetable you want to add on there. I usually put a lot of milk and butter in mine just because they're comforting. The chocolates really add on the happy hormones just don't think about the fat content.

I was searching for Wonton soup and saw this thread. I really need to quit getting distracted. I want to get on this broth made.

Anyways, one of my favorite dinners when I'm sick is my wife's homemade Chicken noodle soup. Hell, I even love it when I'm not sick. It is easily a top 5 favorite dish of mine.

We've been married for almost 29 years. In our second year of marriage I got sick. She made a batch of the Chicken Noodle soup. Simple ingredients, nothing crazy. She used bow tie noodles. After she made it, I thanked her, but said that I didn't eat soups. Her response was, "who doesn't eat soups, but its here if you want some". The reason I didn't like soup was my mom only made that horrible condensed canned soup.

Of course Colleen's smelled amazing. I ate some and fell in love with it. Even today when she makes it, I always request Bow Tie noodles lol.

Now I want some :)

For a mildly to moderately upset stomach, I like to eat vege sushi rolls.

For colds or really upset tummies, homemade chicken soup, which seems to be a recurring theme.

Home-made chicken noodle soup..from scratch (onions, carrots, celery, bay & all..boiled, strained & almost repeated)
With handmade rolled/ thin cut egg noodles..
A pinch of fresh curly parsley, a blob of mamaliga in the center, and a splash of cream when serving (Grandpa used to add Tabasco & more black pepper)
Another unwritten recipe "from the old country"

A pinch of fresh curly parsley, a blob of mamaliga in the center, and a splash of cream when serving (Grandpa used to add Tabasco & more black pepper)

I had to look up Mamaliga. It seems very like polenta?

Mămăligă is a porridge made out of yellow maize flour, traditional in Romania, Moldova and Georgia. Wikipedia

Mine would be my families chicken gumbo recipe. It really hits the spot when you got a cold or the flu.

I don't remember the last time that I was sick for mor than a day (except for alcohol poisoning :sick:) but I really don't think I wanted to eat anything. I guess I drank a lot of tea, and chocolate milk.

Here we have some interesting remedies - these are from a lovely (reproduction) book I have - originally published in 1852. The Iceland moss jelly in the last image sounds right on trend for a high end Scandinavian restaurant.

20180210_134912.jpg

20180210_134921.jpg

20180210_134638.jpg

20180210_134714.jpg

20180210_134737.jpg

Back
Top Bottom