Favourite footwear

Windigo

Kitchen Witch
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
6:34 AM
Website
www.instagram.com
[Mod.edit: This and following few posts moved from another thread to form a new topic. First posts refer to Dr. Martens but topic has been broadened to include other footwear (MG)]

View attachment 68418

I was sorting out the photo archive on my laptop and found this one taken in London a couple of years ago...nostalgia both for London and the Dr. Martens
My favorite shoes! I just bought a new pair last month. I also bought them in the UK years ago . Same feelings

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite shoes! I just bought a new pair last month. I also bought them in the UK years ago . Same feelings

I have been wearing DrM for most of my life, both boots and shoes. The last pair of DrM I bought are my faves above all, sadly I cannot wear them now or my feet would boiling.. can’t wait for autumn/winter time just to be able to wear them again!

Doc Martens (street term in the US) were really popular 20-something years ago here among the Goth, Punk and Skinhead type young people. They got kind of infamous for a while, as they were worn by Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold when they carried out the Columbine High School massacre. They got a reputation as shoes for loners and kids with issues.

CD

Doc Martens (street term in the US) were really popular 20-something years ago here among the Goth, Punk and Skinhead type young people. They got kind of infamous for a while, as they were worn by Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold when they carried out the Columbine High School massacre. They got a reputation as shoes for loners and kids with issues.

CD
It's unfortunate those two added negatively to their reputation.

However I am a loner and definitely was a kid with issues, and also goth, so I suppose that makes sense then :laugh:

CD

Sadly many things had/have bad reputation due to association with these kind of facts or just because they are like a symbol of something (like many other things). However, over here DM were worn mostly by leftist. Other kind of boots were worn by skinhead.
I only liked them (the DM, not skinhead) I remember some people looked at me as I was odd, mannish and punkish. Ok odd and punkish, but not mannish! :laugh:
DM now are back in fashion, they lost their “alternative” appeal and many people (included those ones who looked at me in that odd way) wear them.
I laugh at this. It’s like listening to some kind of music that years ago was judged in a bad way, but now is just cool 🤷‍♀️

Sadly many things had/have bad reputation due to association with these kind of facts or just because they are like a symbol of something (like many other things). However, over here DM were worn mostly by leftist. Other kind of boots were worn by skinhead.
I only liked them (the DM, not skinhead) I remember some people looked at me as I was odd, mannish and punkish. Ok odd and punkish, but not mannish! :laugh:
DM now are back in fashion, they lost their “alternative” appeal and many people (included those ones who looked at me in that odd way) wear them.
I laugh at this. It’s like listening to some kind of music that years ago was judged in a bad way, but now is just cool 🤷‍♀️
For a time here in my area, to a certain segment of the population, the person wearing them was seen as something of a poser/poseur, someone who was maybe from a middle-class suburban "boring" upbringing who wanted to appear to be the type who regularly engaged in street fights and vandalism and other such anarchy, when really, all they did was hang out at the mall and complain about their parents and school. IOW, it was that generation's flag of rebellion, just like guys wearing long hair was at one point, or even my dad wearing jeans and rolling up the cuffs in his day.

I like the way they look; I used to see them frequently 20 years ago, but not so much anymore.

Yeah same here DM's were leftist, Londsdale was right/altright.

They're much more common now here too.

For dressup (suit) I have 2 pair of Ferragamo. I have 2 pair of cowboy boots, 1 is a Lama and the other are Boulet. Sandals I have a pair of Keens and a pair of Birks. Also wear blundstones. As well as a bunch, many, running shoes lol. Did I mention I'm a bit of a cloths horse, well now that I'm semi retired not as much.

Yeah same here DM's were leftist, Londsdale was right/altright.

They're much more common now here too.

I just didn't understand why I should be labelled just because I was wearing something I liked, regardless of my political views (which I manifested in a more concrete way and not through a pair of shoes or anything else) or musical tastes, etc. But those were other times. The same goes for the question of femininity which, frankly, I always wanted to maintain, 'even though I was wearing DMs', something that had been pointed out to me on several occasions by provincial prudes for whom the height of chic was to wear only designer clothes like mannequins and think they were cool and classy, but when you then exchanged a few words with them, their clothes had more personality than they had.

I just didn't understand why I should be labelled just because I was wearing something I liked, regardless of my political views (which I manifested in a more concrete way and not through a pair of shoes or anything else) or musical tastes, etc. But those were other times. The same goes for the question of femininity which, frankly, I always wanted to maintain, 'even though I was wearing DMs', something that had been pointed out to me on several occasions by provincial prudes for whom the height of chic was to wear only designer clothes like mannequins and think they were cool and classy, but when you then exchanged a few words with them, their clothes had more personality than they had.
Lol yes I've always been accused of being manly for refusing to wear heels, but I am hypermobile and if I wear heels I rip my tendons and stuff. I already have permanent damage due to a whiplash in my calves, so heels are just not an option even if I would like to wear them sometimes.

And of course, nobody wears heels while working in a kitchen or any kind of manual labor so for most of my life I had no time to wear heels anyway.

I have bad feet and shouldn't wear heals. I'm also six foot one tall (maybe a slight bit of shrinkage as I age, but I'm still six feet...)

I always hated them. At least with my height no one ever told me I HAD to wear them - I was already taller than most men around me. Even my brother. (Dad, however, was definitely taller...)

I used to wear women's flats and loafers and the like, but nowadays with bad feet and a wonky ankle with a plate & pins in it - I stick to running shoes. Men's running shoes.

The only brands to date that will fit me comfortably are Saucony and New Balance. There's also a "nubby" toe on my right foot.

I wear (men's) USA size 10.5, UK size 9.5, Europe size 44.5) I know this because my shoe tells me that...

A woman's size 12 or such would be the USA equivalent for me. Really next to impossible to find such a thing, especially since the pointy toe part is a problem anyway.

I've never tried Doc Martens - they just weren't available when I was hunting for new shoes to try. I have tried Nike, which is now hated by certain political elements at least in the US - they hurt my particular shape of foot, so I don't buy them. Nothing political at all.

I've never tried Doc Martens - they just weren't available when I was hunting for new shoes to try. I have tried Nike, which is now hated by certain political elements at least in the US - they hurt my particular shape of foot, so I don't buy them. Nothing political at all.
I would recommend you try them if you easily get injured feet, they provide support like no other and last forever. Most of my pairs lasted longer than 7 years.

Birkenstock (Berkies)...

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 1.12.53 PM.jpg

CD

Back
Top Bottom