Favourite picnic food

Rachele

Veteran
Local time
6:51 PM
My earlier post bemoaning the fact that I've never been for a 'proper' picnic got me to thinking about picnic food. What's your favourite food for a picnic? I am looking for inspiration!

I have a recipe for some gorgeous aromatic vegetable pasties with yoghurt pastry which were from an article on picnic food. I will PM you the recipe (copyright issues prevent me putting it up online) and try to get write it up at some point tomorrow

Anything wrapped in a bread pocket. Pita. Tortilla. Spring rolls. Fruits, if they're not too juicy.

I like finger goodies, basically, nothing that has to be eaten with a fork and spoon.

Right now I'm thinking of Thai spring rolls... I think that most people might think of a spring roll as a deep-fried thing, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a fresh wrap stuffed with glass noodles (not actually made of glass, just clear because the flour used to make them is I think rice?) and veggies with some vinegar sauce.

I have a recipe for some gorgeous aromatic vegetable pasties with yoghurt pastry which were from an article on picnic food. I will PM you the recipe (copyright issues prevent me putting it up online) and try to get write it up at some point tomorrow

Oooh, they sounds fabulous! Thank you!

Sushi, quiche, mini rolls. I agree with Ellyn regarding finger food. The less you have to wash up afterwards the better.

I can't remember the last time i went on a picnic! But i think I had egg salad sandwiches. Probably not the healthiest food, but for some reason, egg salad sandwiches are perfect for eating outdoors! The messier the food is, the better it is to eat outside, see what i'm saying? :wink:

Any sort of cold salad like pasta salad, potato salad, fruit salad, etc. I also think watermelon should be a staple at every picnic!

I've never been to a Picnic that doesn't serve anything but hamburger and hotdogs, besides my own cookout. I'm so sick of hamburgers and hotdogs because of this. I'm looking up different recipes now because I have several camping trips coming up and well be cooking outside.

I've never been to a Picnic that doesn't serve anything but hamburger and hotdogs, besides my own cookout. I'm so sick of hamburgers and hotdogs because of this. I'm looking up different recipes now because I have several camping trips coming up and well be cooking outside.

That's not a picnic it's a fast food barbeque! :D

When I said "bread pocket" I can't believe that I didn't even really think of pasties. Tuna pasties. Chicken pasties. Chiboreki (That's Khazakstani oil-fried ground pork or beef pasties, I had a neighbor who used to make them and they were delicious. I might have spelled them wrong, though.)

If you like Asian food, onigiri is a Japanese rice ball (with a bit of vinegar--and actually not a ball in the end but a trianglular prism sort of usually) that often has some sort of filling inside, like tuna-mayo, or chicken-mayo, or a pickled plum, and sometimes covered with singed nori seaweed leaf. Quite portable and filling. I'm fortunate enough to have onigiri molds, which make making them much easier. One problem is that they can get sticky if you hold them wrong, or fall apart if you eat them wrong.

Hmm seems like my idea of a picnic is a bit different than for most of you. I haven't had one for ages but I'd take small finger food that doesn't have to be cooked. Pastries etc do sound good but that is definitely the biggest thing I'd go for, nothing heavier than that.

To me picnic is more of a snack rather than a meal.

My mom's potato salad and my neighbor's fried chicken! Both are the best of those that I have ever had and I can't get enough of them.

I love burgers. But they can be calorie and saturated fat bombs, so I try as much as possible to choose carefully.

Back
Top Bottom