Feeding dogs raw meat

valedevento

Veteran
Local time
4:43 AM
My dogs currently eat dry food from the store and cooked meat and vegetables that I make for them, mixed with rice. I am interested in feeding them raw meat, but I don't know how to start. Does anybody have experience feeding raw meat? What kind of meat should I give them and how much?

http://rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html

See if that helps. It's a subject I remain interested in but I am sort of torn. Right now I am back into the bad habit of feeding my dogs a lot of what I eat. Not even sure if it's a bad habit. What concerns me is that I might be encouraging begging.

Well, foxes, wolves etc eat raw meat in the wild, but maybe domesticated dogs need a bit less to start with. The dog I used to have, I am not sure if he ever had raw meat in his life. I know one time he was drinking some blood left over from liver...I was not cooking it...I hate liver...and he threw up. So, I guess it needs to approached with caution.

Dogs were designed to eat raw [and often old] meat just as humans were designed to eat a mixed diet [sorry but yes we were - we have neither the correct dentition or digestive tract for either a 100% meat OR vegetarian diet]. However they have lived with humans for thousands of years and have become used to a mixture of foods. They will live both long and healthy lives on any reputable brand of dog food either dry or wet and even on on a mixture of these and table scraps.
If you wish to feed raw meat they will be ok but unless it is for some odd experiment of your own I really don't see a need. Sorry too to the 'doggy diet' types I have known many [and yes I mean a lot] of dogs who never tasted more than a few morsels of raw meat at most and lived good lives - most finally expiring of sheer old age. This includes seven alsations , the youngest of which died at age thirteen - a very good age for the breed.
PS, begging is encouraged by giving food either from the table or at odd times - if the food is given in the dog's bowl as or part of a normal meal the two will not be connected. Always remember think dog not human.

Worth considering the area you live in, built up or country area.
Once some dogs get the taste of raw meat they'll go after livestock.
Having to finish the job on 18 of 32 sheep, after they were attacked by dogs wasn't the most pleasurable of jobs. Nor was carrying them down the hill on the back.

We left two out with poison on them should the pack return. All local dog owners warned by word of mouth. We killed two Christmas morning, before coming back out for Christmas Dinner. I got 2nd shot with a camera.

A dog will eat any thing I was told by a breeder but the modern dry diets are designed to keep your dog healthy,I do feed my dog rendered down venison trimmings with her dry food,I have found turkey does up set her a bit,but again I've cooked it ,some breeders recommend tripe but the smell is bad

Once some dogs get the taste of raw meat they'll go after livestock.
Not true I'm afraid - you're thinking human not dog. For example if someone gave you a beef burger and then you saw a cow for the first time would you connect the two ? Dogs do not read menus. The dog will not associate a slab of meat with a moving kicking strange smelling animal in a field. They do not look the same and most important do not smell the same. Any dog will chase anything that runs away if left unsupervised or if it finds it's self in a 'pack' situation. Sheepdogs are only doing exactly this in a modified form. No dog can be trusted 100% around farm animals if they are either unused to them or become 'wild' due to lack of human contact or training.
Is there a need for raw meat - IMHO no, there are literally hundreds of thousands of dogs who do just fine on 'dog food' of which there are hundreds to choose / try. If there is a health problem I suggest there is another cause

Well, that are some interesting opinions :)
I think I will stick with my mixture of home cooked meals and store bought dry food for the moment. They are inside dogs but do enjoy a good run in the park and I don't want them stealing chickens. Although I agree with sidevalve that they don't make the connection between the cooked meat and the animal and they like to chase chickens anyway:headshake:

Not true I'm afraid - you're thinking human not dog. For example if someone gave you a beef burger and then you saw a cow for the first time would you connect the two ? Dogs do not read menus. The dog will not associate a slab of meat with a moving kicking strange smelling animal in a field. They do not look the same and most important do not smell the same. Any dog will chase anything that runs away if left unsupervised or if it finds it's self in a 'pack' situation. Sheepdogs are only doing exactly this in a modified form. No dog can be trusted 100% around farm animals if they are either unused to them or become 'wild' due to lack of human contact or training.
Is there a need for raw meat - IMHO no, there are literally hundreds of thousands of dogs who do just fine on 'dog food' of which there are hundreds to choose / try. If there is a health problem I suggest there is another cause
Only based on personal experience of days spent finding livestock that had been terrified(spooked) by packs of dogs.
I did ask the question of urban or country.

Dogs are by nature pack animals, and will hunt(even if they don't know what they are doing) in a pack.

Well, that are some interesting opinions :)
I think I will stick with my mixture of home cooked meals and store bought dry food for the moment. They are inside dogs but do enjoy a good run in the park and I don't want them stealing chickens. Although I agree with sidevalve that they don't make the connection between the cooked meat and the animal and they like to chase chickens anyway:headshake:
A wise choice. Feeding dogs raw eat could really be quite expensive, as well.

Only based on personal experience of days spent finding livestock that had been terrified(spooked) by packs of dogs.
I did ask the question of urban or country.

Dogs are by nature pack animals, and will hunt(even if they don't know what they are doing) in a pack.
I agree with you 100% - dogs will hunt as I said if they are in a 'pack' or unsupervised. I was simply referring to the OP and the fact that it is not because they were fed raw meat that somehow causes it. They just don't associate the two [not until after the first 'kill' anyway] and the same applies wherever you happen to live. My dog is a lurcher - a rabbit hunting breed but she will, even when faced with a rabbit, await the command to 'go' [not that she will ever get it from me] she is actually quite nervous of sheep - they are not legitimate 'prey'. Like the trusted sheepdog [or indeed the human in a 'gang' situation] however things could change in a moment and this can even include cattle, as several farmers have found to their cost.
As usual the problem is not dogs but stupid people and the dogs diet has little to do with it.

I still feed my dog some dry dog food but I often give her the bulk of her food as raw meat. I started with the roll of raw meat at the pet store. After that I got braver and now i give her raw meat all the time. I cook whole chickens and I just put all the innards that are in the bag into her bowl and she loves it. Organ meat is great for people too but I can't stomach it so at least it doesn't go to waste.

There was a craze some years back when dogs were being fed with raw chicken meat. Our friend who is a fancier of shih tzu learned that from one of their seminars. But after some time, they stopped feeding their dogs with raw meat because it is not sanitary. Our vet is against it because raw meat may have bacteria unlike meat that is cooked not only for the taste but also to kill the bacteria. Another bad thing with raw meat is the odor of the dog's breath, it is unpleasant because of the blood maybe.

I still feed my dog some dry dog food but I often give her the bulk of her food as raw meat. I started with the roll of raw meat at the pet store. After that I got braver and now i give her raw meat all the time. I cook whole chickens and I just put all the innards that are in the bag into her bowl and she loves it. Organ meat is great for people too but I can't stomach it so at least it doesn't go to waste.
I try to do the same but I am not sure if my girl love it. I know at the end of the day they love my human food most of all.

Back
Top Bottom