Feelings about entertaining/socializing

@TastyReuben I don’t think you’re uptight, you just sound like a worrier.
I’m definitely a selective worrier. I don’t worry a whole lot over things I probably should worry over (finances, long-term things), but in a social setting, I worry about everything.

You know, a friend once invited me to a concert, and I accepted and he drove (it was in a city a couple of hours away).

He parked and got a ticket for not having a number plate on the front of his car (no longer an offense here, but it was at the time).

His car, his event so to speak, he drove, he parked, he chose not to have his number plate on the front, and…simply because I was along for the ride, I felt so bad that I had somehow caused it to happen, thinking, “If I hadn’t come along, he probably would have parked somewhere else and the missing number plate wouldn’t have been noticed,” that I insisted on paying the fine (something like $50).

I think for them it’s born out of sensitivity, they are very perceptive people and sensitive to others emotions so they can easily see if somethings not liked or just that the OP seems unhappy for whatever reason.
I would admit to being extremely (I probably should say overly) sensitive to everyone’s moods around me.

Both MrsT’s sister have visited (separately), and they both always laugh and say they love to visit because it’s like staying in a hotel/restaurant with a personal butler, because while they’re here, I just stand around anticipating anything they might want/need.

I don’t even eat with them, I cook and serve everything, and usually stand in the kitchen and eat, with my ear cocked, in case I hear something like, “Are there any olives, by any chance?” - then I hurriedly bowl some up and burst out of the kitchen with olives.

They used to complain that I wouldn’t eat with them, thinking it was more of a snotiness on my part, until they finally figured out that the staff doesn’t eat with the guests! :laugh:

Then another component of their personality kicks in and screws them over - they are kind and want to help.
Yes, definitely - something’s wrong, and if it’s something I organized, I need to fix it. It’s my responsibility for setting the whole thing up.

They want the other person to feel alright and if they don’t they feel it is their fault for not anticipating their needs, that somehow they have failed to provide that person with a good time.
Nailed it, 100%.

Way back in 2005, I think, we hosted my in-laws’ 50th anniversary party, which meant an informal cookout at our house and a formal dinner at a local country club.

The two sisters were highly irritated that neither of them were chosen, but we were centrally-located, so it fell to us. We had to book rooms for out-of-town guests, arrange a photographer, work with the country club on the dinner, arrange gift-giving time, and stage a cookout for about 40 people.

It was terrible because of the two sisters. They were so angry, they worked to sabotage anything they could at every turn.

They complained about everything, and kept pointing out, “This is wrong…that’s wrong…this isn’t right…that’s not going to work…,” but wouldn’t actually help with anything - at one point, they both, in unison said, when asked to help with some clearing away, “It’s not my party, I’m on vacation!” - that was their little dig at neither being chosen to host.

It was miserable. Everybody was miserable. It poisoned the whole thing, but the funny thing was, at the cookout, my parents and my brother and his wife were there, and so it was this display of what I earlier called East Coast Directness versus Midwest Politeness - seven of us (counting MrsT on our side for this one) were running around like crazy trying to counteract all the, well frankly, bitchiness of her two sisters and their families.

It was like Super Friends versus the Legion of Doom! :laugh:

It is very much so for me, even if it’s someone we know well. I’ll be sick to my stomach for two or three days ahead of time, worrying about everything.

I think the single worst I’ve ever felt in my life was the night of our only Christmas party, probably 15 years ago. I was sick with worry, exhausted for days ahead of time from (over)planning, trying to make sure things were just right, that the night of, I really was close to a complete nervous breakdown. That’s not an exaggeration - I was in the back room at one point, shaking uncontrollably, my nerves were so shot, and days of no sleep, and then drinking ahead of and during the party, trying to calm down and be sociable, didn’t help. I was actually quite rude a couple of times, I was so drained and stressed.

I just had a flashback to a Christmas dinner where I deep fried a turkey, made fresh bean casserole, made rolls from scratch...everything was as chefy as I could possibly make it, and everything tasted great. But, it took so much out of me that it was hard to enjoy it. Everything was well-received, and knowing that this was all self-inflicted meant that I could reassess how I approach things in the future.

Needless to say, I've never gone to that level of effort again. Now, I'll pick one or two things that I want to make myself, and let the rest be provided by someone else. The fact that no one seems to mind whether I make everything by scratch or buy everything premade is ressuring: the only pressure on me is pressure I put on myself. Plus, with all the mediocre to bad food from past holiday dinners, making any sort of an effort beyond buying a premade meal is always going to be appreciated. :laugh:

Needless to say, I've never gone to that level of effort again.
Oh, our Christmas party was a mess, and it really was all down to me. I bit off way more than I could chew.

I’ve forgotten the exact numbers, but I think we invited around 25 people, and a lot of them I didn’t even know, they were from MrsT’s circle of work friends.

First, I decided to make something like 20 different appetizers, then I got it stuck in my head that every appetizer had to be prepared in large enough amounts that each person got two, plus some extras, so that was maybe 60 items times 20 appetizers…it was an ungodly amount of food.

Then the bar…I thought I had to:

1. Have a premade cocktail (poinsettias)
2. Have three kinds of Christmas beer
3. Have two kinds of mulled wine
4. Be prepared to make any other drink

That in itself was a full-time job, just trying to be bartender and having some a-hole ask for an Irish coffee, so I’d stop everything and go make coffee (this was in the days before Keurigs).

The entertainment - in the bar, I’d put together a several-hours playlist of holiday music, and I had to burn all that to CDs myself, and I put way too much thought into it, constructing it like a band set list, with songs building excitement, followed by really fun, uptempo ones, then a few to ease everyone back down, and repeat it - like a musical rollercoaster.

In the main room, I’d set up a huge stack of nostalgic TV holiday DVDs, everything from old Abbot & Costello stuff, into the ‘70’s and ‘80’s with Christmas episodes of Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart and WKRP in Cincinnati, and all the classic animated stuff, so I kept bouncing in there and switching out DVD’s, and if I forgot, there was one boorish guest who’d thunder, “THE SHOW’S OVER!!! NEXT!!!” to remind me to get my azz in there and get the next feature on - that was one of my rude moments because I snapped at him, and he was in a wheelchair, and that’s never a good look, whether justified or not.

Trying to keep the food hot where necessary, make this drink, that drink, keep the crockpot filled with the wine, tend the TV, try and visit, keep the bathrooms stocked with TP, answer the door, mingle…and all after spending a good two months trying to plan it all and trying to control everything…I pretty much collapsed in the back at one point and told MrsT (who’s idea it was to do it in the first place), “Never again!”

Trying to keep the food hot where necessary, make this drink, that drink, keep the crockpot filled with the wine, tend the TV, try and visit, keep the bathrooms stocked with TP, answer the door, mingle…and all after spending a good two months trying to plan it all and trying to control everything…I pretty much collapsed in the back at one point and told MrsT (who’s idea it was to do it in the first place), “Never again!”

Yes...it's not just the planning and prep, but the execution. I mean, what's the point of all that planning if the food gets cold, or if we run out of something? I totally understand. But, if you do decide to have another party like this, let me know. The drive from Michigan isn't that far, and I promise I'll bring something. :)

I wanted to add that you all can certainly come to the house, you just have to know the proper response to every situation:

“Giant mosquitos are chewing my feet off!”

View attachment 113078
“But it’s fine, it really is! I’ll really enjoy scratching those later on in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep…because my feet itch so badly. It’s fine, no really!”

“Oh, look! That neighbor’s 110-pound dog has just pushed our motorcycles over and has taken a large chunk out of the back tyre! That’s ok, no really! He’s just so cute and wants to play! We were looking to replace those anyway, they’re too…new?…yeah, that’s it! He’s really doing us a favor by completely and utterly destroying it. It’s ok! Really!”

View attachment 113080

:laugh:
Noted and logged for later 😂

I’m definitely a selective worrier. I don’t worry a whole lot over things I probably should worry over (finances, long-term things), but in a social setting, I worry about everything.

You know, a friend once invited me to a concert, and I accepted and he drove (it was in a city a couple of hours away).

He parked and got a ticket for not having a number plate on the front of his car (no longer an offense here, but it was at the time).

His car, his event so to speak, he drove, he parked, he chose not to have his number plate on the front, and…simply because I was along for the ride, I felt so bad that I had somehow caused it to happen, thinking, “If I hadn’t come along, he probably would have parked somewhere else and the missing number plate wouldn’t have been noticed,” that I insisted on paying the fine (something like $50).

I would admit to being extremely (I probably should say overly) sensitive to everyone’s moods around me.

Both MrsT’s sister have visited (separately), and they both always laugh and say they love to visit because it’s like staying in a hotel/restaurant with a personal butler, because while they’re here, I just stand around anticipating anything they might want/need.

I don’t even eat with them, I cook and serve everything, and usually stand in the kitchen and eat, with my ear cocked, in case I hear something like, “Are there any olives, by any chance?” - then I hurriedly bowl some up and burst out of the kitchen with olives.

They used to complain that I wouldn’t eat with them, thinking it was more of a snotiness on my part, until they finally figured out that the staff doesn’t eat with the guests! :laugh:

Yes, definitely - something’s wrong, and if it’s something I organized, I need to fix it. It’s my responsibility for setting the whole thing up.

Nailed it, 100%.

Way back in 2005, I think, we hosted my in-laws’ 50th anniversary party, which meant an informal cookout at our house and a formal dinner at a local country club.

The two sisters were highly irritated that neither of them were chosen, but we were centrally-located, so it fell to us. We had to book rooms for out-of-town guests, arrange a photographer, work with the country club on the dinner, arrange gift-giving time, and stage a cookout for about 40 people.

It was terrible because of the two sisters. They were so angry, they worked to sabotage anything they could at every turn.

They complained about everything, and kept pointing out, “This is wrong…that’s wrong…this isn’t right…that’s not going to work…,” but wouldn’t actually help with anything - at one point, they both, in unison said, when asked to help with some clearing away, “It’s not my party, I’m on vacation!” - that was their little dig at neither being chosen to host.

It was miserable. Everybody was miserable. It poisoned the whole thing, but the funny thing was, at the cookout, my parents and my brother and his wife were there, and so it was this display of what I earlier called East Coast Directness versus Midwest Politeness - seven of us (counting MrsT on our side for this one) were running around like crazy trying to counteract all the, well frankly, bitchiness of her two sisters and their families.

It was like Super Friends versus the Legion of Doom! :laugh:
Honestly I read all of this and just think you’re a lovely person, and a very entertaining one t’boot.
You just gotta share some of that inner monologue and it’ll be a riot 😂

Another fun thing involving gatherings: where to have the gathering. My sister-in-law always wants to eat at places that are close to her house. She doesn't want to meet halfway, and she has rarely gone to a place that's closer to where we are. And, for some reason, she recently decided that she doesn't want to drive anywhere on Sundays. This is not a religious thing...just a planned lazy day. Before her dad passed, it was ridiculous. She's not the elderly one. And, she doesn't have kids (we do, though). But, her parents would make the trek because she didn't feel like driving.

Now, you may say, how about we ask for her to host a gathering? This has never been a problem. She's happy to have her 1200 square foot house with unfinished basement be the gathering location for a large group, as long as everyone brings food. On some level, she's getting a free catering service, and she doesn't have to leave her house.

This sort of thing is much worse when you know the person really well, since it's inevitable that they'll take advantage of this. They aren't concerned that some ridiculous requirement to meet within 2 miles of their house will drive us away. That could actually be the ultimate goal!

Noted and logged for later 😂
The key is, and with your knowledge of British Middle Class you’ll already know this…but on the day, no matter what happens, you just have to constantly remind me that everything is perfect and so wonderful and exactly what you wanted, but better:

I serve you a cake, forgetting your intestinal issues:

“No, really, it’s fine, I’ve been a bit constipated lately, and this will help marvelously - may I have another slice?” - that’s to show you really mean it.

It the bathroom later, no toilet tissue:

“No, really, it’s fine, I don’t like to, you know, get my hand back there. It’s much easier for me to waddle quietly to your tub, pants around my ankles, turn on the tap, climb in and reverse myself into the water flow. It’s like a super-bidet, seriously.”

If we’re on the back deck and you spontaneously combust into flames:

“No, really, it’s fine. I was actually a tetch cool just now, and I’d been contemplating topping myself ever since we arrived, so this is really solving two problems with one stroke, brilliant! Don’t worry about that garden hose…well, only if it isn’t too much trouble to put me out, and I really mean that. I don’t want to be a bother, and you e been just lovely about the whole thing, especially me singeing up your deck. I’m so thoughtless, really. You must let me pay for that, just file a claim on my estate after I’ve expired, no really, I insist. It’s fiiiiiinee!”

The key is, and with your knowledge of British Middle Class you’ll already know this…but on the day, no matter what happens, you just have to constantly remind me that everything is perfect and so wonderful and exactly what you wanted, but better:

I serve you a cake, forgetting your intestinal issues:

“No, really, it’s fine, I’ve been a bit constipated lately, and this will help marvelously - may I have another slice?” - that’s to show you really mean it.

It the bathroom later, no toilet tissue:

“No, really, it’s fine, I don’t like to, you know, get my hand back there. It’s much easier for me to waddle quietly to your tub, pants around my ankles, turn on the tap, climb in and reverse myself into the water flow. It’s like a super-bidet, seriously.”

If we’re on the back deck and you spontaneously combust into flames:

“No, really, it’s fine. I was actually a tetch cool just now, and I’d been contemplating topping myself ever since we arrived, so this is really solving two problems with one stroke, brilliant! Don’t worry about that garden hose…well, only if it isn’t too much trouble to put me out, and I really mean that. I don’t want to be a bother, and you e been just lovely about the whole thing, especially me singeing up your deck. I’m so thoughtless, really. You must let me pay for that, just file a claim on my estate after I’ve expired, no really, I insist. It’s fiiiiiinee!”

Ok how about this one that really happened - my friend was walking to the table with a roasting tin of potatoes filled with hot fat straight from the oven. Just as she reached the table pan slipped slightly and she tipped the boiling oil straight into my lap.

Rather than upset or embarrass her I said amongst others things - No no no don’t worry it’s absolutely fine, I never really liked this skirt anyway. I’ve always enjoyed stain removal I can get that out easily I’ll enjoy it. Don’t be silly, my legs are fine, it’s surprisingly not that hot. I’m just really looking forward to those roast potatoes!

Of course boiling oil is boiling oil and it was bast**d hot but I’d rather quietly suffer second degree burns than mortify the host any further.

How’s that for a fit 😂

How’s that for a fit 😂
We’re gonna get on just fine. 😏

Here’s an advanced question for you…what do you do when you’re the one carrying the hot oil?

I once used the toilet at MrsT’s sister’s house (a standing affair, not a sitting one, thank god), and when I went to flush it, the whole water tank just exploded/disintegrated into a thousand pieces (due to his shoddy repair work earlier).

By the time we’d gotten everything cleaned up, I think I’d agreed to pay for a bathroom remodel on that room, and a bathroom addition, just to keep things friendly. :laugh:

We’re gonna get on just fine. 😏

Here’s an advanced question for you…what do you do when you’re the one carrying the hot oil?

I once used the toilet at MrsT’s sister’s house (a standing affair, not a sitting one, thank god), and when I went to flush it, the whole water tank just exploded/disintegrated into a thousand pieces (due to his shoddy repair work earlier).

By the time we’d gotten everything cleaned up, I think I’d agreed to pay for a bathroom remodel on that room, and a bathroom addition, just to keep things friendly. :laugh:
Call an ambulance, pay for new wardrobe and therapy for the ptsd I’ve caused, spend the rest of my life apologising and never ever carry hot oil again 😂

We used to do Good Old British Christmas Lunch. On the 25th, but late (because Venezuelans celebrate Christmas on the 24th). Turkey ( usually about 9-10 kgs) done first thing in the morning. I'd get up around 6am and think "ok, no-one's going to turn up until 5 pm, so no sweat) and into the oven it went. 40 minutes per kilo, but 40 minutes more. Never failed.
Then there were roast potatoes. I'd peel around 15 kgs in 40 minutes or so, cut them all to the same size and parboil them for 5 minutes, then drain. So it's like 7.30am. Make some more tea, kids race down the stairs, Xmas presents to be opened. OK, 9.30. My wife usually made breakfast, but they'd all be happy with a plate of cornflakes.
10am. Peel carrots and cut into batons, poached in the potato water for 7-8 minutes. Remove and drain. Next came the sprouts. Peeled (at least to remove the ugly leaves) then halved and poached for 5 minutes. Drained. 11am. Beetroot had already been cooked a day before, so it was peel and cut into bite-sized pieces. Into an oven pan with some brown sugar and red wine vinegar, s&p. Ready to bake for 30 minutes at the end of the day. Bacon chopped and fried, along with flaked almonds, set aside.
MY GOD! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!! Time for a beer.
Potatoes ready - just an oven dish with hot oil. Carrots done (Cream ready, tarragon ready to add later). Sprouts, bacon, almonds - all ready.
1.20pm - turkey probably ready, so give it a look, hmmm, needs another 20 minutes to brown on top. Time for another beer. OK - turkey done, so removed from the oven and placed on a silver serving dish (well it looked silver, anyway). Tied the dog up.
5pm, the first stragglers arrived. My drinks regime is "I serve the first, then it's up to you". Everyone brings a bottle (or two) so the party begins.
About 7.30, I asked if anyone was hungry yet.
"Nooo, not really!"Ok - so put the roasties in the oven. 9pm, we served. 8.40 I was re-heating the carrots with cream and tarragon, and sautéeing the sprouts in abundant amounts of butter, with the bacon and almonds and a splash of honey.
The only slip up was when I opened the oven to take the beetroot out, and the tray slid rapidly through the door. Thankfully, my friend (who was a great footballer in his time) put his foot underneath just in time. Saved!
Someone volunteered to slice the turkey, wife had made the gravy, everything else served buffet style.15 kgs of roast potatoes disappeared in seconds and I didn't get any.
And we did that like 10 years in a row, until the kids left home.
Mise en place also means knowing how long every dish takes to cook (I learned that from Hell's Kitchen) and thus being able to serve everything at the same time.

ps when everything settles down here and the American Odyssey planning is back on, the visit to Ohio and meeting up with you (TastyReuben), will certainly be eating out, I’ll suggest some places and pick where, we’ll make sure it’s when you’re on a day off. Mr SSOAP and I already know you’re a good guy so there you go you’ll have responsibility or worries… but oh my what to wear 🤔 😂
When do you think you'll be coming through Ohio?

Back
Top Bottom