Finger foods

Local time
11:03 AM
Finger foods are not my favourite things to prepare. I find they call for a lot of thought and often way too much effort. My girlfriend invited me to a girl's night and told me it was a finger food affair. I have to say that I was not thrilled when I heard that.

I felt like it would have been so much easier for me to prepare something more solid and filling but it's not my event. Anyway, I just thought I'd ask if anyone preferred cooking over preparing finger foods. I do. And while we are at it, I welcome any ideas for a quick fix as I have to work all day. I already have some ideas from this forum, but the more, the merrier.

Last edited:
Well you could always prepare some cooked finger foods. Sausage rolls? Is that something you make in Barbados? Or perhaps some spicy cooked chicken pieces? Or maybe you could make a pate (chicken liver pate is quite easy to make) and take some crackers along so people can serve themselves. Or marinade some prawns (shrimp) in spices and pre-cook.

Last edited:
Get a mozerella ball divide into 6 and wrap each piece in thin Parma ham and grill you can season with pesto ,serve with sundries tomato Mayo
Quick chicken sates with a peanut sauce
Goats cheese and red onion marmalade crostini
Minted pea and feta crostini
Baked fresh figs with blue cheese and bacon
Chicken breast gluons in panko bread crumbs and dipping sauce
Teriyaki of beef served in crisp lettuce
A few off the shelf quick party foods to give you inspiration

Well you could always prepare some cooked finger foods. Sausage rolls? Is that something you make in Barbados? Or perhaps some spicy cooked chicken pieces? Or maybe you could make a pate (chicken liver pate is quite easy to make) and take some crackers along so people can serve themselves. Or marinade some prawns (shrimp) in spices and pre-cook.
Sausage roll style ,you can buy pastry pre rolled and make salmon dill and cream cheese ones even vegi ones with goats cheese cooked mixed pulses and red peeper confit ,the dish can be as different as you imagination and they don't take that lying to do ,any pastry trimmings make cheese straws

Our native finger foods here are specialties like sisig, and chicken innards. Sisig is a pork dish that is minced with onions, garlic and other flavorings. It is cooked in sizzling plates and with a raw egg tossed in after harvesting from the stove. About the chicken innards, they are marinated and boiled before putting on a griller like barbecue. Especially cooked for beer drinkers, those chicken innards like liver, gizzard and intestines are the most popular finger food over here.

Thanks a million but it was Saturday and I ended up cheating of sorts by ducking out and sending a contribution. I had so work all day as I was short of staff so in some ways it worked out well for me. Still I appreciate these suggestions.

You can't go wrong with sliders! Not too messy either if the bun isn't covered in sauce.
My mom makes ground turkey sliders on Hawaiian bread. It may sound weird but the sweetness
of the bread goes nicely with the turkey!

When finger food parties come around I just bring chips and my homemade guacamole recipe. It's a crowd favorite and sometimes I mix it up with a little sour cream dip or salsa. I find finger foods easy to prepare you just have to find that one recipe that you enjoy cooking and stick with it.

the finger food I prepare are something more "rustic", not chic as the name "finger food" recall XD
I made
bruschette, for example with home made patè (chicken liver) or with diced tomatoe or with butter and smoked salmon, (one very good is with a pasto made mixing italian sausage, stracchino, herbs and spices, put on the bread and oven cooked)
little skewers, for example with diced pear and pecorino, melon and parma ham...
salatini, with puff pastry, like little pizza, filled with tuna or wurstel or chees, rolls with stracchino and mortadella...
quiches and omelettes cut in little squares

Attachments

• 2861_1108910013406_1409012_n.jpg
    2861_1108910013406_1409012_n.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 245
the finger food I prepare are something more "rustic", not chic as the name "finger food" recall XD
I made
bruschette, for example with home made patè (chicken liver) or with diced tomatoe or with butter and smoked salmon, (one very good is with a pasto made mixing italian sausage, stracchino, herbs and spices, put on the bread and oven cooked)
little skewers, for example with diced pear and pecorino, melon and parma ham...
salatini, with puff pastry, like little pizza, filled with tuna or wurstel or chees, rolls with stracchino and mortadella...
quiches and omelettes cut in little squares
Sounds delectable!

I kind of like the idea of finger foods or small plates (or "tapas" as they're otherwise known) when you're trying to bring a contribution to feed a group of people. I feel like there would be more pressure and difficulty trying to decide on some larger food items to feed a group - you can never please everyone. If you try to do something like grilled burgers as the main course and have a couple people bring in sides, you're always going to have the vegetarians, people who don't eat red meat, people on a diet, etc.. to deal with too. At least with a bunch of small plates or finger foods to choose from there is more variety and more options (provided enough people are willing to cook and contribute to it) to please everyone. And for those that did cook, if there are some leftovers of what they made, nobody has to take it personally that people didn't like their food, because everyone was sampling a little bit of this or that. Plus with these smaller individual items, there is less of an issue if you bring something that one or two people in the group can't eat, because there are plenty of options for them to choose from besides it. I know some people I worked with can't eat shellfish for example, but the rest of us might like a shrimp cocktail. This way it won't really seem like we're excluding them or singling them out by bringing shrimp in addition to everything else.

I love fish fingers! Even though meant to be a starter, I find myself eating a fair share of them. I like cooking them as well since fish is readily available here.

When I'm entertaining in the backyard I like to go with a cheese platter, veggie platter and fruit platter and chips and salsa. For indoor entertaining I'll have a variety of dips like a spinach dip with pumpernickel bread, chips and mango salsa, homemade hummus and pita bread. I also like to make mini spring rolls and crispy fried won tons. I think as long as everything is bite size and easy to handle it makes it easier.

You can't go wrong with sliders! Not too messy either if the bun isn't covered in sauce.
My mom makes ground turkey sliders on Hawaiian bread. It may sound weird but the sweetness
of the bread goes nicely with the turkey!
Add some cranberry cream cheese spread to that and you have a winner for sure. Sounds like the sweet bread and turkey would go perfect together. I have never made sliders before but it is something I am going to get to one of these days.

Yes, everyone seems to love sliders. There are so many different ways to prepare them as well. Little ham and pineapple sliders, burger sliders, you name it. Everyone seems to have a favorite, and a favorite way to prepare them. They are very popular now, and the perfect small bite food. I think I will serve them this year at a Superbowl party. I am going to have one this year, not just talk about it!

Back
Top Bottom