Fingernails: how long or short are yours?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:14 PM
[Mod.Edit: This post and following few moved to form a new thread (MG)]

Mod. comment: length of nails is quite relevant to cooking preparation. Feel free to post images of your nails.

But please can you grow your nails a bit longer? I hate that 'fat bump' at the end of your thumb because you cut the nails so short. Off topic... just sayin'....
Well, here’s the thing…the nails on my left hand fingers are very short to accommodate playing a stringed musical instrument (fretting hand nails don’t bother some, do bother others, and I’m in that latter camp).

Because I’m a little OCD about symmetry, where possible, I can’t have short fingernails and a longer thumbnail, nor can I have short fingernails on my left, and not on my right (I’d probably subconsciously list to right due to the perceived extra weight :laugh: ), which would actually be advantageous, because I play both flatpick and finger-style, which means I use these for my right hand fingers:

C557DC51-5B54-4E13-9359-4B2327A9B967.jpeg

…and that’s how I came to pay $3.99 for those eggs! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here’s the thing…the nails on my left hand fingers are very short to accommodate playing a stringed musical instrument (fretting hand nails don’t bother some, do bother others, and I’m in that latter camp).

Because I’m a little OCD about symmetry, where possible, I can’t have short fingernails and a longer thumbnail, nor can I have short fingernails on my left, and not on my right (I’d probably subconsciously list to right due to the perceived extra weight :laugh: ), which would actually be advantageous, because I play both flatpick and finger-style, which means I use these for my right hand fingers:

View attachment 95103

…and that’s how I came to pay $3.99 for those eggs! :wink:

I think we need a fingernail thread. It is quite relevant to cooking prep (as well as playing stringed instruments).

I think we need a fingernail thread. It is quite relevant to cooking prep (as well as playing stringed instruments).

I have pretty nice nails for my age. In my thirties, I actually did some hand modeling by happenstance. I was a product manager at a photo shoot, and the hand model didn't show up. The manicurist looked at my hands, and said, "these will work." It was for computer software retail packaging, and it was close-up shots of my hands working a keyboard.

Andy Warhol was partially right, because only my hands had "fifteen minutes of fame." :laugh:

CD

Right now my nails are getting longer. This must be because I'm doing very little in the kitchen (due to leg injury). I usually find they flake and break but they are not doing that right now. I may have nails worthy of varnish soon.

We have a Neighborhood Gal Pal who's nails look like this

IMG_3325 (2).JPG

Those are her OWN REAL NAILS! I 💩 NOT!!!
Everyone and I mean everyone, even around town knows "Nancy Nails".
If we all meet up somewhere and we've seen her car already in the parking lot, we just say, "we're with Nancy Nails" ... OOOHHH, yes, she's right over here 😳

I've never had a whole nail on the left hand middle finger. Don't know why but it is permanently flaking to the point that it has never actually grown long enough to cut without including the flaked area. It is actually very good right now, usually roughly half of the nail on the left hand side of that middle finger will be half thickness all the way down to the quick.

20230116_133928.jpg

My thumb nails are equally scratched and lined (mind you, so are most of them, the little fingers being the worst).

20230116_134457.jpg

20230116_134347.jpg

The rest are OK, but never brilliant. I certainly won't be modelling my hands!

20230116_133928.jpg
20230116_134208.jpg

The ridges on one of my little finger nails
20230116_135612.jpg

Back
Top Bottom