First Aldi in Louisiana, U.S.

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
2:19 AM
Yesterday Aldi opened their first Louisiana store 3 miles from my house. No, I did not rush over to check it out. I will wait a couple of weeks, maybe a few days. The ground has been broken for a second location on the other end of town.
I admit I am very curious. So many of you have raved about Aldi. I am not sure what to expect.

Yesterday Aldi opened their first Louisiana store 3 miles from my house. No, I did not rush over to check it out. I will wait a couple of weeks, maybe a few days. The ground has been broken for a second location on the other end of town.
I admit I am very curious. So many of you have raved about Aldi. I am not sure what to expect.

In the UK its brilliant. Its budget price and good quality. I have an Aldi at the end of my road (literally 4 minutes walk!) but due to the pandemic I've stopped shopping 'in person', so I don't go to supermarkets or any shops any more. I know they make an effort to cater for regional tastes too. I sometimes order their wine on-line (they do wine but not food on-line). Its excellent quality at budget price.

I live halfway between two ALDI stores. When I do occasionally go to one, I only find a few items that I need, and have to go to Kroger afterward, while I can get everything i need at Kroger, so I usually just skip ALDI.

CD

I live halfway between two ALDI stores. When I do occasionally go to one, I only find a few items that I need, and have to go to Kroger afterward, while I can get everything i need at Kroger, so I usually just skip ALDI.
We no longer have Kroger in Lafayette. How does Aldi compare to Super 1 or Albertson's?
In the UK its brilliant. Its budget price and good quality. I have an Aldi at the end of my road (literally 4 minutes walk!) but due to the pandemic I've stopped shopping 'in person', so I don't go to supermarkets or any shops any more. I know they make an effort to cater for regional tastes too. I sometimes order their wine on-line (they do wine but not food on-line). Its excellent quality at budget price.
I like on-line ordering. I will check it out. Very curious.

We no longer have Kroger in Lafayette. How does Aldi compare to Super 1 or Albertson's?

We don't have Super-1, and Albertson's here is Tom Thumb. ALDI stores are MUCH smaller. You could fit a half dozen of Frisco ALDIs inside the one Tom Thumb in Frisco. :ohmy:

CD

BTW, I went into ALDI about a month ago, since it was on my way home from another errand. I needed about six items. I found one. It was ground pork. It came in a vacuum sealed package. I got home, opened it, and had to throw it away. It was severely waterlogged. It was pork mush.

The locations near me may just be bad locations. I hope your's is better.

CD

I sort of doubt that Aldi do that in the USA. In the UK all the main supermarkets are on-line (which is the only way I shop). Its easier here as we are a small country, so distances to deliver are much shorter. Aldi and Lidl (the two budget supermarkets) don't deliver food in the UK. Most other supermarkets do. I use Morrison's and Ocado (the latter is purely on-line).

But anyway - I'd recommend a visit to Aldi.

BTW, I went into ALDI about a month ago, since it was on my way home from another errand. I needed about six items. I found one. It was ground pork. It came in a vacuum sealed package. I got home, opened it, and had to throw it away. It was severely waterlogged. It was pork mush.

The locations near me may just be bad locations. I hope your's is better.

CD
I generally don't buy meat at Aldi's, but they have good produce for good prices and I love their cheese selections.

I sort of doubt that Aldi do that in the USA. In the UK all the main supermarkets are on-line (which is the only way I shop). Its easier here as we are a small country, so distances to deliver are much shorter. Aldi and Lidl (the two budget supermarkets) don't deliver food in the UK. Most other supermarkets do. I use Morrison's and Ocado (the latter is purely on-line).

But anyway - I'd recommend a visit to Aldi.
Aldi in Ohio do have online ordering through Insta Cart.

I will check it out.

Bring a quarter if you want a shopping cart. You put a quarter in to get a cart, and your get the quarter back when you return the cart. If there is a kid around when I finish with my cart, I let him/her return it and keep the quarter. :laugh:

Some people leave the quarter in the cart for the next person.

CD

Bring a quarter if you want a shopping cart. You put a quarter in to get a cart, and your get the quarter back when you return the cart. If there is a kid around when I finish with my cart, I let him/her return it and keep the quarter. :laugh:

Some people leave the quarter in the cart for the next person.

CD
I usually just give it to someone approaching and ask them to pay it forward.

Don't forget to bring your own shopping bags or look for a box. They don't provide shopping bags for free, you have to either buy them or bring your own (or use a box). There are plenty of people stocking items constantly and there are usually plenty of boxes available.

I use my own insulated shopping bags at all grocery stores, so I forgot about ALDI not having free bags. That is something I do like about ALDI.

CD

I use my own insulated shopping bags at all grocery stores, so I forgot about ALDI not having free bags. That is something I do like about ALDI.

CD
Yes, I bring my own shopping bags sometimes, but they aren't insulated. For quite awhile no stores here would allow anyone to bring their own bags because of covid. I like using their boxes because I tend to put some of our recycling in them before taking stuff out to our big recycling container. We recycle way more stuff than we throw away in our house. That's one thing that drives me crazy about going to Port Arthur, they don't offer recycling in that part of Texas. In Austin they don't offer shopping bags anywhere, if you go to H.E.B, Walgreen's, etc. you have to bring something to put your purchases in.

If I lived in Texas I likely would have insulated bags too, but I live about 10 minutes from Aldi so it's really not necessary. In summer on very hot days I do tend to keep a cooler in my trunk with ice packs if I am making multiple store visits, but our "hot" days are only in the mid to high 80s usually, not like Texas style hot, so not much to worry about.

We have 3 choices here.
Pak n save: pack your own. Cheap goods
Countdown: middle of the road.
New world: up market with great range.
We shop at new world.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom