Flatbreads - have you ever made them?

I made pitas tonight. I made a recipe and a-half of dough, used half of it and refrigerated the rest as we are having a Moroccan meal later in the week that uses pitas. I really wanted to try cooking them on the grill, but we did a good bit of running around today and kind of ran out of time and energy.

@morning glory I made my cardamom flat breads the other day and they failed! I'll try again.

I've found my chickpea Flatbread attempt https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/besan-ki-rot-chickpea-flour-roti.11117/#post-98612 and I'm sure I posted pita bread here so will search for that.

The Asian version of chickpea flour flat bread should have wheat flour (as above) and yoghurt but I adapted the French/Italian version with just a few spices to go with curry. It was lovely. Just chickpea flour and water with some chilli, salt, cumin and corriander. Left to soak for that afternoon then cooked in an oiled cast iron skillet. I turned the bread over to cook the other side then over again to brown up the first side.

It was good and so easy. Just have to remember to make the batter in advance. I have some ready for tomorrow. (it is cold and wet here so eating lots of curry and soup.).
I think we will be eating a lot if this as is easy, cheap, tasty and GLUTEN FREE!! Yay!!!

Did this again today. Just chickpea flour, water, salt and fennel seed. A little oil in the skillet. Great with curry and chutneys/pickles.

Last edited:
I used to store buy my flatbreads and finally attempted to make my own a few years ago. It was so good, I will never buy premade again. Not to mention how much less expensive it is and so easy to make. I will say, living in Florida, the warm climate makes proofing dough much easier. One tip is to add minced garlic and fresh herbs to the dough for some added flavor.

I agree the shelf life is shorter, but in that end, the freezer is your friend. I freeze the raw dough in individually wrapped small balls in a ziplock. Good for about 6-8 weeks.

I've made naan bread "dry fried": This is buttered.

naan.jpg

And Madhur Jaffrey's oven baked naan (in the halogen):

Naan bread s.jpg

Both were adequate.

Back
Top Bottom