Food and the single person

We have the height difference too. Craig's almost 10 inches taller than me so lots of times I have to try to remember to ask him to get something down for me before he leaves, wait until he gets home or find the stepladder. I hate going to the grocery by myself because inevitably I have to ask somebody to get something(s) off the top shelf when I do. It's a major PITA being short.

When you're single, you ask the cute guy in Aisle 3 to reach up and get it for you. :wink: Win, win.

I was shopping and another short lady was in the same aisle...it was the soda aisle and she looked over at me and said I'd ask you to reach me a bottle but you aren't much taller. So i showed her my trick for lifting soda bottles by the bottom and letting them tip into my other hand but i told her to not open them til they had time to settle a bit or they would make a mess.

But the kitty litter aisle at walmart defeats me. The boxes are so far back and the shelf is tall...they used to stash a hoe hidden in back of the bottom boxes that made for easy sliding the boxes forward but the hoe disappeared and its just us short crazy cat ladies trying to figure how to reach the boxes wandering around.

I so much agree with you. There should be more websites and cookbooks which focus on cooking for one. Its all very well to say 'freeze portions' but I can appreciate that nobody wants the freezer stacking up all the time. I need to have a think about this. Great idea for a new thread, @oddduck.

I hate leftovers! I've been toying with the idea of getting a set of divider plates that go from freezer to microwave. They are sold by Walmart and probably Amazon as well. Think TV dinners, but with homecooked dishes. Not to be confused with freezer meals, you can put an entire meal in these divider plates that come with a lid, and have a homecooked meal at your disposal - rather than take out. I came across some good recipe ideas as well. Will try to post them when I can.

Last edited:
Back in the day, TV dinners were not all that bad. There were healthy are portions and dishes like...

A slice of ham with raisin sauce, sweet potato souffle/mashed sweet potatoes and a cobbler of sorts.

Three big pieces of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and maybe peas.

Chicken parmesan, spaghetti, and maybe vanilla pudding.

The turkey dinners were more substantial as well, turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing and maybe peas or cherry or apple cobbler.

They were nothing like what they are today. Tiny portions and awful tasting food. I'm thinking homemade Gourmet TV dinners so to speak.

Most premade options are not an option as i don't eat meat and finding affordable premade tastey vegetarian dishes is not easy. For the price of a vegetarian frozen burrito i can get one freshly made at a restaurant. And i tried a frozen vegetarian lasagna...so tasteless. Why do companies and even restaurants think vegetarians like tasteless food?

Most premade options are not an option as i don't eat meat and finding affordable premade tastey vegetarian dishes is not easy. For the price of a vegetarian frozen burrito i can get one freshly made at a restaurant. And i tried a frozen vegetarian lasagna...so tasteless. Why do companies and even restaurants think vegetarians like tasteless food?

Go Indian (the sub-continent, not the inappropriately named sports teams)

If you want flavour with veggie dishes, especially single or small portion, frozen or quick-fix ones, there are lots of really good Indian and Southeast Asian prepared foods available.

Back in the day, TV dinners were not all that bad. There were healthy are portions and dishes like..

Agree. I remember TV dinners being a huge treat when I was a kid , even a teen. I loved the fried chicken, corn, mashies, and brownie one, as well as the Salisbury steak one. now, blech!

No premade food… My idea was using homemade food in divided freezer containers I started a thread w pics. Maybe that will explain my idea,

Back
Top Bottom