Food boxes

[QUOTE=". As @MrsDangermouse said, their prices are more expensive than the usual supermarket veg and are on a par with supermarket organic prices (and in some cases can be cheaper), but the quality is something else and there is rarely any waste.

I don't have a Riverford box every week because I rarely finish the whole contents of the box in a week but I do like the variety of fruit and veg from them and their cheese range is rather good too. I do wish, though, that they would sell smaller quantities of the produce. The smallest bag of carrots a few weeks ago was 1.5 kilos![/QUOTE]
Most of their stuff keeps well in a cool, dark cupboard or the fridge. I only started on last week's box yesterday, and that was still sitting where I put it when I brought it in. Everything including the cime di rapa was fine, although in this weather my kitchen is probably colder than the fridge except when I'm cooking. I get milk, eggs, tomatoes, muesli off them regularly (about the same prices as supermarket organic prices - Ocado), and garlic and ginger as and when (they're cheaper than Tesco!), so it doesn't take much to make up their minimum order. This week, I'm not getting a box at all, but I have ordered some fruit. Milk and More are changing their website as we speak, and doing more organic stuff, but they are generally more expensive than Riverford. However, they deliver three times a week, so it is much easier to go online and order or cancel stuff when I need to. Some of their regular prices for non-food items are cheaper than Tesco or Sainsbury's and they have regular special offers, so I keep an eye on their prices every week. There are two local organic butchers which I have yet to investigate. However, since I've stopped getting supermarket fruit and veg, I find I waste far less.

I only started on last week's box yesterday, and that was still sitting where I put it when I brought it in. Everything including the cime di rapa was fine, although in this weather my kitchen is probably colder than the fridge except when I'm cooking. I get milk, eggs, tomatoes, muesli off them regularly (about the same prices as supermarket organic prices - Ocado), and garlic and ginger as and when (they're cheaper than Tesco!), so it doesn't take much to make up their minimum order.

So do you get to choose what's in the veg box? And what is the minimum order?

So do you get to choose what's in the veg box? And what is the minimum order?
If you don't have a box, the minimum order is £15 of meat, or £15 total of everything else. You can't pick and choose what is in the boxes (but they have quite a range of veg, fruit and veg, fruit, salad, and meat boxes in varying sizes to choose from), and there is nothing to stop you making up your own box, although their pre-packed ones work out a bit cheaper). P.S. The milkman (Milk&More) delivers to your area too :D.

Last edited:
If you don't have a box, the minimum order is £15 of meat, or £15 total of everything else. You can't pick and choose what is in the boxes (but they have quite a range of veg, fruit and veg, fruit, salad, and meat boxes in varying sizes to choose from), and there is nothing to stop you making up your own box, although their pre-packed ones work out a bit cheaper). P.S. The milkman (Milk&More) delivers to your area too :D.

£15 is quite good. Most places its £40.

I didn't think the milkman did deliver here.. I've not seen there vans around. Their website was down when I looked earlier.

£15 is quite good. Most places its £40.

I didn't think the milkman did deliver here.. I've not seen there vans around. Their website was down when I looked earlier.
A new milkman has taken over our round. I haven't managed to catch him yet to find out what time he usually comes; but sometimes it is on the doorstep at 3.30 and other times it can be 6 a.m. I live on the edge of a large industrial estate and opposite another, and I think he fits our road in either before or after he delivers to the factories. The old milkman used to come at about 4.30.

Milk Man - nostalgia. Milk bottles with a cardboard cap. Delivered in a wire rack. If I were to ask Mom she could probably tell me the name of our Milk Man. Once or twice a month he would have coffee with Mom and her children. In hind sight I think he was enamored with my lovely Mother. :eek: Understandable - she was and still is a lovely woman.

Milk Man - nostalgia. Milk bottles with a cardboard cap. Delivered in a wire rack. If I were to ask Mom she could probably tell me the name of our Milk Man. Once or twice a month he would have coffee with Mom and her children. In hind sight I think he was enamored with my lovely Mother. :eek: Understandable - she was and still is a lovely woman.
My Mum's milkman from before I was born was called Leslie :eek: He retired not long after my daughter was born. Her name is not Lesley :laugh:

I called Mother - our milk man was Bob Arceneaux. Unfortunately he died a couple of years ago.
:ohmy: Sad. She obviously remembered him very well. How old is your mum? Mine died a few years back aged 97. She had me late in life though (for those days) so I guess your Mum will not be as old? I'm very off topic!

Back
Top Bottom