Food & cooking abbreviations & nicknames

I do also get annoyed at “sammich” for sandwich, because it’s rooted in making fun of supposedly less-educated rural people (aka hillbilly-speech). It’s evolved beyond that, of course, but that’s how it was used in the past.

You'd say 'veg'?! I would never, ever say that.
Yeah, you’ll see “meat & two veg” listed for lunch specials. It would depend on the circumstance. I wouldn’t walk in grocery store and ask where the veg is, but I might ask a restaurant server what the veg of the day is.

Yeah, you’ll see “meat & two veg” listed for lunch specials. It would depend on the circumstance. I wouldn’t walk in grocery store and ask where the veg is, but I might ask a restaurant server what the veg of the day is.
I should also add that “meat & two veg” is a euphemism for something else entirely. Let’s just get that out of the way right now. :laugh:

When some people say broiler when they mean grill, and say grill when they mean barbecue.
But that's not abbreviation or shortened, that's just misuse or perhaps a different meaning of a word due to different usage in a different country. To me, the broiler is the top heatling element in my oven. The grill is in my garage and my husband might grill steaks or cook barbecue in/on it, but sometimes I make barbecued ribs in my oven!

But that's not abbreviation or shortened, that's just misuse or perhaps a different meaning of a word due to different usage in a different country. To me, the broiler is the top heatling element in my oven. The grill is in my garage and my husband might grill steaks or cook barbecue in/on it, but sometimes I make barbecued ribs in my oven!
You're not helping 😁

Back on topic, not only am I aperplectic about EVOO, but also the recipes that suggest you fry with it, an Italian or a Greek would report you to the police for it.

You're not helping 😁

Back on topic, not only am I aperplectic about EVOO, but also the recipes that suggest you fry with it, an Italian or a Greek would report you to the police for it.
I am apathetic about all of it. I love EVOO but I would never fry with it!

When some people say broiler when they mean grill, and say grill when they mean barbecue.

I've mentioned that one before. It makes US/UK cooking conversation difficult...

Stove = Hob
Oven = Cooker
Broiler = Grill
Grill = BBQ
BBQ = Smoker**

** True American BBQ refers to meat cooked with a wood or charcoal fire to create smoke, That rule has slipped over the decades. To many Americans today, BBQ is anything cooked slathered with BBQ sauce, whether on a smoker or in a Crock Pot.

CD

Back
Top Bottom