Food mill/mouli légume

Of coarse, THIS works also! :whistling:
Don´t agree, GG. THIS will blitz stuff to oblivion, and I use one (frequently) just for that reason.
However, a passata needs the skin and seeds removed gently. I would never use a blender for mashed potato, either. Sometimes you need something gentle to get the best results.

My grandma had one of these, which she only ever used to make mashed potatoes.

I don't like mashed potatoes so I don't think I'd have a use for this. When it comes to pureeing tomatoes, my blender does an awesome job and requires less manual work.

Depends GG. Most people use the food mill for tomatoes because it removes seeds and skins for sauce efficiently. vitamix doesn't do that. Ricing potatoes is another popular used for the food mill which can't be done with vitamix. I use a vitamix most days, but not for either of those job, which is why most purchase a food mill. imo

I have a potato ricer that I use as a first step when I want really soft mashed potatoes. Thing is, I prefer "rustic" mashed potatoes, so I rarely use the ricer. I have a feeling I wouldn't use a food mill, either.

CD

Don´t agree, GG. THIS will blitz stuff to oblivion, and I use one (frequently) just for that reason.
However, a passata needs the skin and seeds removed gently. I would never use a blender for mashed potato, either. Sometimes you need something gentle to get the best results.

I would never use a blender for mashed either. It's mainly for fruits & certain veggies, as well as for grains to turn them into flour. Now, if you were making hot soup in the Vitamix, you could add one or two small potatoes for flavor. it will pulverize that, but to just plain out make mashed potatoes in it, no. Stick with the food mill for that.

For mashed potatoes I wouldn't think of using any implement other than this.

My mother had one before me but her's was substantially older. Probably first belonged to my grandmother.

For mashed potatoes I wouldn't think of using any implement other than this.

My mother had one before me but her's was substantially older. Probably first belonged to my grandmother.

I have a plastic one shaped like that, so that it won't scratch the nonstick cookware.

That is a potato ricer, to me.

CD
Some ARE called ricers & some are call food mills, but they all amount to the same thing. Whichever thing that you choose to name it, it gets the job done. I just got so sick & tired of stringy sweet potato pies, stringy mashed sweet potatoes & dealing with that striny matter all on the mixer beaters!!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Depends GG. Most people use the food mill for tomatoes because it removes seeds and skins for sauce efficiently. vitamix doesn't do that. Ricing potatoes is another popular used for the food mill which can't be done with vitamix. I use a vitamix most days, but not for either of those job, which is why most purchase a food mill. imo

I do like getting rid of the skins, but I want to keep the seeds. Yes, I'm weird. SO I end up parboiling and peeling my tomatoes.
I rice cauliflower (in a processor on pulse), but have never riced potatoes. As far as making super smooth mashed potatoes - I actually prefer the less smooth mashed potatoes a manual potato masher gives me.

I do like getting rid of the skins, but I want to keep the seeds. Yes, I'm weird. SO I end up parboiling and peeling my tomatoes.
I rice cauliflower (in a processor on pulse), but have never riced potatoes. As far as making super smooth mashed potatoes - I actually prefer the less smooth mashed potatoes a manual potato masher gives me.
We go through about 8 liters a week of tomato sauce at the restaurant and use a food mill. I don't think we've ever served mashed potatoes at the restaurant but for home use I use a manual potato masher as well. A potato puree aka Joel Robuchon is a different story and yes using a ricer or food mill is required to get the job done properly.

I hate the skins (on cooked tomatoes) but the seeds don't bother me. My method of peeling is likely the same as yours.

tomatoespeeled.jpg

Back
Top Bottom