Food Prices ?

It is staggering to look in some people's shopping trolleys. It is also worrying how many people think that cooking decent food is too expensive, then proceed to fill their trolleys full of processed cr*p that actually costs far more. Is it just stupidity or just an excuse for laziness?
The first leading to the second.

A sharp rise in food prices has added £21.31 to the average household shopping bill over the past three months as the number of promotions fell to an 11-year low, according to new grocery market data.

The price of everyday goods at supermarkets rose 2.3% in the three months to 26 March from a year ago, said Kantar Worldpanel, a sharp pick-up from the 0.2% food price inflation recorded in the 12 weeks to 1 January – the first time prices rose in more than two years.

Rising prices for everyday staples such as butter, fish, tea and skincare have been partially offset by falling prices for crisps, bacon, chocolate and fresh poultry, Kantar said.

Supermarkets have been cutting multi-buy deals and other special offers, after mounting evidence that they confuse shoppers and increase food waste. Separate data from Nielsen showed the proportion of consumer spending on promotions at UK supermarkets has fallen to an 11-year low.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-food-prices-inflates-household-shopping-bill (4th April 2017)

Yes I read the same article in the Daily Mail (ok, I couldn't find anything else to read) so to be taken with a large pinch of salt. It would take a far cleverer man than I to figure out supermarket food pricing, but I doubt it has much to do with exchange rates. Anything is an excuse to put up prices, or reduce prices paid to suppliers - it is such a competitive market.

Yes I read the same article in the Daily Mail (ok, I couldn't find anything else to read) so to be taken with a large pinch of salt. It would take a far cleverer man than I to figure out supermarket food pricing, but I doubt it has much to do with exchange rates. Anything is an excuse to put up prices, or reduce prices paid to suppliers - it is such a competitive market.
The "farm gate" prices are fairly static though. 18 cents(Euro) for a gallon of milk, @40 - 50p a pint in the shops.

Buy in one currency, sell in another.

If the food prices had gone up £21.31 in 3 months after four years we should be paying around £350.00 for a shop by now - strangely we aren't.
I even admit we buy 90% of our food at a supermarket [including the odd frozen pizza] and don't spend hours checking every price down to the penny. [Neither I'm afraid do we grow anything - ok a few apples].
Full english may be a cheap meal but that is sort of my point - it's still a pretty tasty one. My wife has started baking again [much risk to my waistline here] and we'll be having roast pork, yorshires, roast potatoes and stir fry veg at the weekend, [maybe even a bottle of cheapish wine too] doesn't seem a bad meal to me.:hungry:. Still the bill stays pretty much the same.
Watched a program just before Christmas about spending and there was a family with almost £500 worth of foodstufs in two trolleys. :eek: [and this did NOT include the £200 worth of assorted booze already back home] Ok there were four of them but still £500 !! It was indeed mostly 'pre-packed' stuff.
Food is not expensive it seems - laziness and stupidity are.

Girls only for the cooking from the start. With only four lads doing it for their final two years.

Set up in a way. They got the girls to opt for woodwork or metalwork, then claimed it was unfair they couldn't choose cooking.
There was one young lad who wanted to do cookery - his father was a chef and he wanted to be one too but our headmaster would not have it. He also wouldn't let my friend do metalwork although her mother had been making tanks during the war. The last laugh may have been on us, though. Hardly any of the girls got O level cookery, and the couple that did only just scraped though. It turned out that the teacher was not qualified to teach cookery at O level! Neither was our maths teacher, but that's another story.

Watched a program just before Christmas about spending and there was a family with almost £500 worth of foodstufs in two trolleys. :eek: [and this did NOT include the £200 worth of assorted booze already back home] Ok there were four of them but still £500 !! It was indeed mostly 'pre-packed' stuff.
Food is not expensive it seems - laziness and stupidity are.

These people think that they are saving time too, which isn't always the case. At one time, when we used to shop for 4 adults and 1 child, we used to do a supermarket shop mid-week on our way home from work (about 6 p.m.). We always used to buy a small joint of meat which was put in the oven literally as soon as we got home. By the time the shopping was put away and a cup of tea drunk, the vegetables would have been prepared and cooked and the meal was ready in what seemed like no time at all. A little bit of forethought works wonders.

I always spend a lot more money on a lot more food than usual at Christmas, but all the leftover meat and poultry is either plated up or made into other dishes and sees me through January. My food shopping bill during that month is practically nil in comparison.

Dinner tonight. Pork tenderloin $1.47, potatoes 20 cents, veggie if frozen $1 if canned 67 cents, rolls roughly a nickle.

There was one young lad who wanted to do cookery - his father was a chef and he wanted to be one too but our headmaster would not have it. He also wouldn't let my friend do metalwork although her mother had been making tanks during the war. The last laugh may have been on us, though. Hardly any of the girls got O level cookery, and the couple that did only just scraped though. It turned out that the teacher was not qualified to teach cookery at O level! Neither was our maths teacher, but that's another story.
One is now a chef. Last time I saw him, he was in a London hotel.

If the food prices had gone up £21.31 in 3 months after four years we should be paying around £350.00 for a shop by now
The article was saying that food prices had gone up by £21.31 on the monthly bill in the last 3 months (not before that). I think the stats are for a family of four.

Not really relevant to prices in the "West" but other than seasonal fruits and vegetables, our food prices here have hardly moved over the last 4 years. I initially prepared this webpage about 8 years ago and have only amended food prices once since then. Electricity, bottled gas and petrol/diesel prices move up and/or down monthly.

http://lifeinsurin.com/living.html

[Currently the Thai Baht is standing at 34.5 to the US$ and 44.5 to the Sterling]

The article was saying that food prices had gone up by £21.31 on the monthly bill in the last 3 months (not before that). I think the stats are for a family of four.
A family of four eating what though ? I mean basic food here - enough to make reasonable enjoyable tasty meals. OK so there is only two of us [+1 dog and 1 cat] so we can half the figure £10 in a month. That alone, assuming only the last three months should still have put the bill up by £30 and - well no. What are these people buying ?

A family of four eating what though ? I mean basic food here - enough to make reasonable enjoyable tasty meals. OK so there is only two of us [+1 dog and 1 cat] so we can half the figure £10 in a month. That alone, assuming only the last three months should still have put the bill up by £30 and - well no. What are these people buying ?
I think it means that for two people the bill would have gone up £10 over the last three months (not £10 each month).

It's hard to say that "things are more expensive" than they were a few years ago without looking item-by-item to see if the cost of those items are really higher. It does seem to be the same sort of thing on both sides of the pond: higher costs seem to be down to what you're spending your money on. And, yes, people do pay for convenience. I wish I could keep up with the food needs for my kids, but they're teenagers, meaning they eat a lot (especially my boy, who always seems to be hungry).

For those of us old enough to remember, frozen food (which were once called "TV dinners") used to be really awful. Now, you can get good quality food in the freezer. It isn't - and never will be - as good as freshly-made food, but it's certainly better than it used to be. I frequently have to supplement a big batch of stew with frozen pizza. And, as much as I feel like I'm failing my children when I do this, I completely understand why the industry has flourished.

Back
Top Bottom