Food that goes 'PING'

Pete

Über Member
Local time
2:29 AM
Who uses a microwave to cook a proper dinner?
I usually only use mine to warm things up, or for porage for breakfast.

I'm not generally keen on 'microwave dinners' but they do have their place occasionally!

Mash potato can take 4-5minutes instead of cooking/mashing which could take over 25.

There was another thread about this not long ago - I reckon I under-use my microwave (as most people do). I will have more 'thinks' about the issue but I suspect that the problem is, its too easy to overcook things. Cooking times are really quite critical in the microwave.

I mainly use mine to reheat leftovers from a previous dinner, to make popcorn and for softening butter.

Pete, I'm not too keen on using it on a regular basis, like for cooking, but it truly comes in handy when you want to reheat leftovers! Growing up as kids, we didn't have a microwave in the house, and so, we had to use pots & pans to warm up leftovers from a dinner. :wink:

Who uses a microwave to cook a proper dinner?
I usually only use mine to warm things up, or for porage for breakfast.

I'm not generally keen on 'microwave dinners' but they do have their place occasionally!
You mean the "Three Minute Chicken Ding" dinners!

Never done a full meal in a microwave. Parts, but never a full meal.

Growing up as kids, we didn't have a microwave in the house, and so, we had to use pots & pans to warm up leftovers from a dinner. :wink:

We didn't even have electricity [insert Monty Python's four Yorkshiremen sketch here].

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

We didn't even have electricity [insert Monty Python's four Yorkshiremen sketch here].

:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Used to dream of electricity :roflmao:
But We do use ours for the initial cooking of baked potatoes with just the last ten mins or so in the oven - otherwise a quick snack can seemingly take forever !!!

I did actually have to do all the cooking with a microwave, many years ago, when we had the kitchen rebuilt. I remember really well taking a packet of fish fingers down the road to my son's friend's house to get his mum to grill them. We didn't have a combi oven at the time. I remember trying to cook pasta and rice but they boiled over and made a mess. Cooking vegetables weren't a problem or reheating meals that I'd put in the freezer. We got quite good at cooking eggs. I think I did attempt a casserole but it took a long time.

Mine is a Combination grill, fan oven and microwave but I rarely use it properly! I should, I suppose, it's just a bit of a faff setting it up.
I got this one quite a while ago after No1 daughter used the previous one to warm up a croissant.... for 10 minutes!!!

Suffice it to say that the smoke alarm worked and the microwave didn't :laugh::thumbsdown:

Only reheating and heating up ready meals here at Lady B Towers. Have read a lot about cakes in a mug which are normally microwaved but never quite have plucked up the courage to give them a try.

Back
Top Bottom