Foodie items as gifts

Ella

Veteran
Local time
6:03 AM
I actually like to give and receive hampers of food as gifts. Mainly as these are luxury items you reserve as a treat or have items like truffle oils in them that you wouldn't buy on a regular basis. Many stores have pre-packed ones, but I like to make them up myself and ones with chocolate biscuits or shortbread will always be appreciated.

Yeah this is a great idea and I think it's especially satisfying if you put together the bundle yourself. We have these pre made baskets being sold here as well but often there are one or two items that are just filler and I doubt many would really find a use for them, so it is much better to do it yourself and you could even customize the contents depending on who you're going to be giving the basket to.

I received some of these before. I really appreciated them more than clothes or accessories because I knew that I would be able to use in one point or another. :)

I always make fudge and other candies to give out on Christmas. There a good inexpensive gift, and people have started requesting them.

I appreciate this type of gift. They usually contain a variety of items. Some I received before contained some canned foodstuff, tea bags, chocolates, cookies, and small juices. This type of gift never goes to waste or gets put aside. I like the idea of making them up for people too, since there is such a variety of stuff that can be added to the package. One can hardly go wrong when giving this sort of gift. Sometimes we give other gifts that we are not sure would be appreciated by the receiver. We just like to know that we have given them something.

I also love to give and receive gifts of food. My parents are the hardest people in the universe to shop for. They are the kind of people who just get whatever they want or need, and now that they are retired they can pretty much afford everything.

I almost always do one of those Omaha Steak deals for them. Cyber Monday always has a great sale so I usually just do it then.

Sort of the same lines, we've had 4 babies born in the last 8 years and every time, our church and friends have rallied and created meal sign ups to help us through the first couple weeks with a newborn. It has been the BEST gift ever, every time (and maybe one of the reasons I keep having more kids). So whenever I can bless a new mom friend with the same thing, I do it.

My eldest grandson started university in September. As money is very short for him, I will be giving him a hamper filled with food I know he will eat, rather than anything else for Christmas. It will ease my worries for him. At least I know he will be eating properly.

I have received the occasional fruit basket and was quite thrilled. I have mostly made gifts of fruit baskets myself as well but mostly for a group of people. When that happens, I let the florist choose what fruits they will send.
After reading this it feels like I can do more than a fruit basket and add my personal touch not to a fruit basket but a FOOD basket.

The great thing about hampers, you can regift things that you can't use, that you maybe allergic and there are no hard feelings in that. It also helps out if you are visiting people and have nothing to take as a gift, you can take one of the items. All my secrets are coming out now!

Everyone has to eat and in these times people treat themselves less, so it's something everyone can enjoy.

One of my best birthday presents was from my mum two years ago. It was a wooden box filled with 'Indian' things. There was a cookbook, metal serving dishes, mango chutney, lime pickle, spices, cinnamon sticks and lots of other related goodies. I had a great time working my way through the cookbook trying out the dishes and serving banquets on my metal trays. Other food gifts I enjoy are chocolate and wine.

I love giving food items as gifts. People in my family really appreciate thing that get used and enjoyed and then don't take up space forever. I have found all sorts of neat little things to give like toffee, ginger "jam", candied nuts. I've even made some thing and plan to do that again this year.

The great thing about hampers, you can regift things that you can't use, that you maybe allergic and there are no hard feelings in that. It also helps out if you are visiting people and have nothing to take as a gift, you can take one of the items. All my secrets are coming out now!

Everyone has to eat and in these times people treat themselves less, so it's something everyone can enjoy.

I am glad the secret is out and you are making so much sense. I did have the concern about knowing what a person likes and choosing something that you know they will enjoy. Based on your secret you can " re-gift" the things you might be allergic to and pass on and hopefully no offense is taken. Sounds like a an idea. Let the secrets keep coming.:wink:

Fruit baskets are great gifts too, and the fact that what they contain have health benefits, is an added bonus. This is usually a good gift to get for a family, or when you cannot think of anything else to buy for a friend. I remember giving away one last year which contained quite a variety of fruit. Even though, as the name suggests, fruit baskets contain mostly fruit, adding another item to the basket can make it more interesting. For instance, a bottle of jam or jelly could be placed in the middle, or a bottle of non-alcoholic wine. Florists usually do a good job with decorating these fruit baskets.

Fruit baskets are great gifts too, and the fact that what they contain have health benefits, is an added bonus. This is usually a good gift to get for a family, or when you cannot think of anything else to buy for a friend. I remember giving away one last year which contained quite a variety of fruit. Even though, as the name suggests, fruit baskets contain mostly fruit, adding another item to the basket can make it more interesting. For instance, a bottle of jam or jelly could be placed in the middle, or a bottle of non-alcoholic wine. Florists usually do a good job with decorating these fruit baskets.

I think they can be a nice idea, but you do need to keep them fresh and they have a limited shelf life. For family events it is great as everyone can have something, but as I don't eat fruit so I don't really think about them as gifts. For someone who likes to make smoothies it can be a nice gift. It's traditional to bring fruit a a gift when you visit someones house or a bottle of wine. As many of my family do not drink, I always bring fruit or cookies or chocolate.

I like receiving foodie items or food baskets as we call them here because they are very practical. I do not have to worry about buying food for a few days, so I can save some money.

Back
Top Bottom