Free wild food

There are a couple of small apple trees just up the road from me. The problem now is that the easily accessible fruits have gone and picking any more involves a slightly undignified scramble up on to a stone wall.

There's also a cherry tree, but some greedy-guts seems to have swiped all of the fruit.

I have friends in London that have an olive tree in their garden. I have to confess that until I saw it (and tasted the olives), I had no idea such things grew in this septic isle.

There is a lot of food available in this area. Seafood is readily available, lobster, crabs, scallops, salmon, cod, mackeral, clams and mussels. In wild meat we have deer, moose, rabbits, ducks, geese just to name an few. In fruits we have apples, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, black berries, cranberries and fiddleheads.

That is a terrible waste of a good resource. Ferment it and turn it into a fine wine - several of the russian tsars loved it and it really is pretty good stuff.
I'll pass that on ,they make two barrels of cider every year and search for hallucinogenic mushrooms so it will be right up their street ,they even wash in the sap ,as it is anti ageing remedy as well,

That is a terrible waste of a good resource. Ferment it and turn it into a fine wine - several of the russian tsars loved it and it really is pretty good stuff.

I'll pass that on ,they make two barrels of cider every year and search for hallucinogenic mushrooms so it will be right up their street ,they even wash in the sap ,as it is anti ageing remedy as well,

One of the local wineries where I used to live used to make a silver birch sap fortified wine which was excellent and well worth buying when they had it in. I don't drink much at all, but silver birch wine is excellent and something I would purchase or make myself if I had the opportunity to do so.

I live in a tropical Asian country where people usually grow a tree in their own garden, my neighbors included. We trade rambutans, chicos, mangoes and atis fruits all the time. When it's in season the Durian fruit has a lot of fans in my household and we consume it despite the bad smell. We have a harvesting month in August or May and the people of the city usually celebrate with parades and contests.

I have friends in London that have an olive tree in their garden. I have to confess that until I saw it (and tasted the olives), I had no idea such things grew in this septic isle.

London has its own micro-climate and the temperature is always slightly higher than anywhere else in the UK. I like the idea of picking olives straight from the tree.

I've already picked several pounds of apples this year and there are many more on the trees growing wild locally where there used to be a tip so they have all grown from discarded apple cores with pips. I also found a pear tree with small red fruit and I shall go back when they are a little bigger.

I've picked several tubs of blackberries in recent weeks and elderberries are now at their best.

Back
Top Bottom