Freezing and reheating pasta

Amateur1

Local time
12:50 AM
In various cookbooks I saw pasta recipes combined with sauces and vegetables. What's the best way to freeze and reheat?
Should I freeze it all together or freeze the sauce and vegetables and make fresh pasta when needed?
Here is an example recipe.
Baked rigatoni with aubergine & mozzarella recipe | BBC Good Food

Is this article on freezing and reheating correct or do you do something different?
How to Freeze Pasta
My freezer is not big enough to hold a baking plate as it has other stuff in it.

Last edited:
Freeze it as a complete dish, not separately. Simply put the whole finished dish in a suitable container (I would use a plastic box with lid) and freeze. Simple!

What's the best way to reheat - microwave or on the gas hob?
Does it need to be put in water to reheat?

The only pasta dishes I freeze are canelloni and lasagna. These are dishes I´d normally prepare and then bake in the oven to finish. If I decide to freeze them, they´re all ready except for the final browning in the oven. I freeze them, then defreeze and put them in the oven to brown.
I´d never put pasta in the microwave; it makes the pasta chewy and unpleasant. I´d put your dish in a pyrex , cover with foil and reheat gently in the oven.

Normally, I put the pasta in water to cook on the hob, then add the sauce and vegetables then eat. I don't use the oven.
In that situation, would you recommend reheating in the oven or on the hob?

Thanks. I'll assume you mean that one can reheat in the oven or on the hob.

Thanks. Would you recommend thawing for a few hours in the fridge or at room temperature?
Alternatively, should it go straight onto the heat source?

Better is in the fridge, overnight, so it stays constantly at a low temperature, what is good on bacteria and texture. It's not recommended to put it straight into the heat source. When you reheat the pasta in the pot, try to heat up the sauce first, then just add the pasta

Back
Top Bottom