Freezing olives?

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
9:20 PM
I have two packets of olives and I doubt if I will eat them all before the Use By date expires

The advice on the packet is that they are not suitable for home freezing - why?
It seems to me that olives are fairly indestructible, and I don't see why freezing should do any harm

If not frozen whole, I'd thought of dicing them, mixing with olive oil, and freezing small amounts in washed out yogurt pots, then all I would need to do is add a pot to stews or salads as needed

any comments or suggestions please?

I have two packets of olives and I doubt if I will eat them all before the Use By date expires

It seems to me that olives are fairly indestructible, and I don't see why freezing should do any harm

If not frozen whole, I'd thought of dicing them, mixing with olive oil, and freezing small amounts in washed out yogurt pots, then all I would need to do is add a pot to stews or salads as needed

Olives don't freeze well -- at least I've been told. I'm guessing they get mushy. Pickling is a better way to preserve them.

CD

I would also assume they get mushy, but you could still use them for olive pesto, tapenade etc

Personally, I would not worry about the date on the pack, assuming they are brinded and the pack is sealed

I would also assume they get mushy, but you could still use them for olive pesto, tapenade etc

Personally, I would not worry about the date on the pack, assuming they are brinded and the pack is sealed

Yes, the key is if they were brined, which does the same thing as pickling. Preserved with salt water.

CD

I agree. If they are preserved then they will be fine.

I’m not clear if these olives have already been opened, sound’s like they are?

If so then you should follow the storage advice after opening and discard after the length of time stated.
Like I do everytime, without fail.. not 😆

Or I’d go with the tapenade suggestion cos thats freezable.

Make yourself a brine with a litre of water and 100 gms salt. Bring to the boil, let it cool, then put the olives into a sterile jar and cover with the brine.

Back
Top Bottom