Freezing Sweetcorn

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
3:55 PM
This morning we were given 30 freshly harvested ears of corn. We shall pass some on to neighbours/friends but I thought I would try freezing some. I stripped half a dozen and blanched them in boiling water for 7 minutes (after the water re-boiled). They are now bagged and will make their way into the freezer when cooled.

I appreciate that it's a bit late now but am I doing it right?

blanched corn s.jpg

I took one ear out of the freezer yesterday, stripped off the corn and heated the kernels in boiling water for a few minutes.Very nice.

I'm having another this evening.

I've only ever blanched greens and the like before freezing them, otherwise they go mushy and lose their colour, but then I often blanch green veg before I cook them anyway - especially Brussel sprouts and broccoli; they go a beautiful bright green. Most other vegetables and fruit don't need it.

I've wondered about this as I grow corn most summers & when time poor I've just stripped the husks & silks off & bagged them in zip locks and stuffed them in the freezer. Straight into the pot of salted boiling water or into foil with butter and into the oven to roast and yummy.

Would the husks provide better protect from any possible freezer burn?

Would the silks be even more of a nuisance to remove?

I've wondered about this as I grow corn most summers & when time poor I've just stripped the husks & silks off & bagged them in zip locks and stuffed them in the freezer. Straight into the pot of salted boiling water or into foil with butter and into the oven to roast and yummy.

Would the husks provide better protect from any possible freezer burn?

Would the silks be even more of a nuisance to remove?

Good questions! I'm not sure it would make much difference though...

Back
Top Bottom