Recipe Garlic Mayonnaise Croutons

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:45 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Yep, I did. And in the airfryer. So they're aren't really any real quantities with this. It is going to depend on how garlicky, crisp and how many croutons you want to make. We like garlic, so we used about 1tbsp of freshly mixed garlic with 2 heaped tbsp of homemade mayo (mustard version). I just used all of the remaining stale bread and winged it. Hubby declared them to be very good and that I can make them again, so this is just really my notes so I can remember.

20231215_124104.jpg

Obviously you can use egg mayonnaise if you want to.

Ingredients
Garlic
Bread (fresh or stale)
Mayonnaise (Recipe - Egg-free Mayonnaise)

Method
  1. Cut the bread into slice, then dice into 1cm³ dice roughly. Aim to have everything the same size, rather than exactly 1cm³. I don't bother removing the crust. That's up to you.
  2. If you have an airfryer, pile the cubed bread into the basket, set the temperature to 100°C and 'cook' for 3-5 minutes, tossing once or twice. The bread should be hard and crisp without colour at this stage. If you lack an airfyer, you'll need to grill (UK term) or bake the cubed bread in an oven. Try not to brown the bread at this stage.
  3. Mix the garlic with the mayonnaise and warm slightly in a frying pan. Add the croutons and toss until all at covered equally. If you want more oily croutons, add more mayo, just remember that it will come out in the airfryer. More cleaning!
  4. Once everything is equally covered, return the croutons to the airfryer, increase the temp to 170°C and bake for 5 minutes. Check part way and toss. Watch the colour, you don't want to burn them.
20231214_174817.jpg

After first airfryer session

20231214_175629.jpg

Almost overcooked, but oddly no burnt garlic taste or smell. I'll soak back a little in the temp or time, next time.

20231214_180404.jpg

Draining. I'll use a little less mayo next time, for our tastes. I just added all that was left :whistling: .

Even cold, the next day, these are still crunchy and crisp. 😀

Back
Top Bottom