Garlic soup

Duck59

Guru
Local time
9:47 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
I love garlic soup, though it's something I've only seen served in restaurants in Eastern Europe (vampire myths are stronger there than in the west). It's easy enough to make, of course, though it takes a bit of time working your way through all the garlic you need. I wonder why it never seems to feature on western European menus, though.

I have never tasted garlic soup and cannot imagine what it would taste like. I like to use garlic mixed with onion when frying anything, like fish, for example, or for makiing a gravy. . That way, I do not get to taste the actual garlic. I also like the smell of the garlic when it is being fried up. However, I believe putting lots of it in soup as the main ingredient would bring out the garlic taste too much. I am aware that garlic has many health benefits, though, so garlic soup would be very beneficial healthwise.

I live in the US and have never heard of garlic soup. It sounds like it would be good if there were other vegetables involved. I am not sure I would be able to drink garlicy broth and eat chunks of garlic. Onion soup is popular here in the US, but we tend to add other things to it as well.

I have never tasted garlic soup and cannot imagine what it would taste like. I like to use garlic mixed with onion when frying anything, like fish, for example, or for makiing a gravy. . That way, I do not get to taste the actual garlic. I also like the smell of the garlic when it is being fried up. However, I believe putting lots of it in soup as the main ingredient would bring out the garlic taste too much. I am aware that garlic has many health benefits, though, so garlic soup would be very beneficial healthwise.

I am on the same page as you Caribbean girl. I don't usually like a day to come when I am out of garlic as with onions and some other things. It adds flavour to nearly everything thing and I love the aroma it adds to my cooking. Yet,I can't imagine a soup dominated by garlic. It seems a bit much....Anyway, I stopped and took a closer look at the recipe provided. It might not be all bad and the health benefits cannot be denied.

Last edited:
This takes me back to the eighties! I'd forgotten all about it but used to make it then. You don't need to even think about peeling all those garlic cloves. I used to roast them in the oven until soft and the squeeze garlic out of the papery skins. Add some stock (your choice of stock) and some stale french bread or ciabatta torn into bits. Whizz up with a stick blender or in a blender, season to taste and your done! You can add cream but I prefer it without.

I've done a garlic rosemary and white onion soup,and have been using the wild garlic lately in soups ,but the season is coming to a end now:cry:

I remember being in Prague in winter and having garlic soup at lunchtime - it kept me warm for ages. Of course, all that garlic is good for the circulation, but sometimes, you get a load of melted cheese at the bottom of the bowl, which isn't quite as good for the blood flow.

There is such as a thing as garlic soup? I haven't tried it, and I think that I won't really be a fan. I don't really like garlic. I only appreciate it when it's mixed with fried rice or used as a congee topping.

There is such as a thing as garlic soup? I haven't tried it, and I think that I won't really be a fan. I don't really like garlic. I only appreciate it when it's mixed with fried rice or used as a congee topping.
I had to look up congee. Never heard of it before. I gather its a sort of rice porridge... putting garlic on that seems weird to me (but I'm willing to be converted)! Is the garlic fried first?

The thing about garlic is that its two very different tastes, depending on whether its slow roasted in the skin or whether its added raw as in salad dressing. And when peeled raw garlic is added to a dish and cooked for a long time (as in a curry sauce) it doesn't really taste harsh at all. Very often, I find that people who say they don't like garlic (my Dad was one) have no problem with slow roasted or slow cooked garlic in dishes.

I had a (vegetarian) garlic tapas in Riga one evening. It sounds intimidating, but in fact a lot of it was roasted garlic, which meant that you get that sweetness. It all went down very nicely with some dark Latvian beer.

Garlic soup sounds delicious. I will have to try it out. I would love a recipe for it. I cook with garlic a lot and even grow garlic in my garden and am always looking for new uses for it. I really believe in the health properties of garlic.

Back
Top Bottom