Gluten free flour

rubydust

Veteran
Local time
1:27 AM
The ready made gluten free products, such as bread and cakes are just too expensive, so I'm experimenting with baking from scratch.

I bought a gluten free flour. Am I allowed to name the brand here? The ingredients listed are, rice, potato, tapioca, maize and buckwheat. I tried to bake with it, but unfortunately it tasted disgusting!

Can anyone recommend a decent gluten free flour? Or should I try to source individual ingredients and make up my own flour from scratch?

I haven't found a pre-made ready mixed four - as you said, they are kind of disgusting. It's almost like you have to give up trying to replace flour, because you can't, almost everything you make you'll be disappointed how crap it tastes (at least that's my experience). But with that said I have to recommend the "wheat belly cookbook". It has some recipes and alternatives in there that are not at all bad, pretty tasty.

Also for me, I have had more luck "baking" in a keto way, rather than with gluten free fours. For example, there is one recipe for oopsie rolls that works for me as an alternate to bread:

Oopsie Rolls (Gluten-Free Buns)

3 large eggs
pinch of cream of tartar (1/8 tsp)
3 ounces cream cheese (Do not soften)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Separate the eggs and add cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you’re using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool.

http://yourlighterside.com/2009/05/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie-rolls/

i use Doves gluten free flour,i can do sponge based desserts to the same quality as ordinary flour,ok for batters,pastry can be short but use able

I haven't found a pre-made ready mixed four - as you said, they are kind of disgusting. It's almost like you have to give up trying to replace flour, because you can't, almost everything you make you'll be disappointed how crap it tastes (at least that's my experience). But with that said I have to recommend the "wheat belly cookbook". It has some recipes and alternatives in there that are not at all bad, pretty tasty.

Also for me, I have had more luck "baking" in a keto way, rather than with gluten free fours. For example, there is one recipe for oopsie rolls that works for me as an alternate to bread:

Oopsie Rolls (Gluten-Free Buns)

3 large eggs
pinch of cream of tartar (1/8 tsp)
3 ounces cream cheese (Do not soften)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Separate the eggs and add cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you’re using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool.

http://yourlighterside.com/2009/05/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie-rolls/

Thank you for the recipe. I'll be sure to try it, and will post a pic of my results!

I should probably take your advice and stop trying to replace flour. It's so hard to change the habits of a lifetime isn't it?

I'll have to take a look at the Wheat Belly cookbook. I desperately need some ideas.

feel free to name them and express your opinion of them... that isn't an issue - personal opinions, just keep it polite

It was Doves Farm. It was my first experience baking with gluten free flour, and was very disappointing. I was wondering if I had just been unlucky with that particular brand, or if all gluten free flours would be similar. The texture and consistency is also very different from what you get with normal flour. I must admit, this first experience was a bit of a let down.

i use Doves gluten free flour,i can do sponge based desserts to the same quality as ordinary flour,ok for batters,pastry can be short but use able

Thanks for posting. I had been trying to make muffins with it. I was just using my normal recipe but substituting the flour. Maybe I should try some out some different things. Do you follow specific gluten free recipes?

The ready made gluten free products, such as bread and cakes are just too expensive, so I'm experimenting with baking from scratch.

I bought a gluten free flour. Am I allowed to name the brand here? The ingredients listed are, rice, potato, tapioca, maize and buckwheat. I tried to bake with it, but unfortunately it tasted disgusting!

Can anyone recommend a decent gluten free flour? Or should I try to source individual ingredients and make up my own flour from scratch?
Buckwheat by it self is not to bad, but I haven't found to many gluten free flours that work well for baking. Rice is about the closest texture to wheat flour, but none really seem to match the taste of wheat flour, unfortunately for Gluten free folks.

I also use Doves gluten free flour and it is amazing! The food turns out as if I was using normal flour and that's exactly what I miss about eating foods containing gluten - the texture and the flavor of it. I follow mainly normal recipes and just substitute the flour with the gluten free flour.

Back
Top Bottom