245g Doves Farm SF flour
35 g potato starch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 egg and 1 egg white
6 floz water

Mix dry ingredients then add wet ingredients. It makes a stocky dough,
Flour worktop and break dough into eight pieces. Roll into balls and flatten.

the recipe said to cook in a preheated oven at 200 degrees and use a pizza stone. Cook on one side for 2 minutes and the other for 1 minute. Mine needed a lot longer using a heated baking tray and I'm sure my oven does not get as hot as it should.

The result was good but needs some work. I'll try setting the oven higher.

I'll post my changes.

Last edited:
Good morning @Herbie - my niece is gluten-intolerant so I'm always interested in recipes like this.

Could you please tell me what is meant by SF flour?

I'm a bit surprised by the oven temperature suggested for this. I'd have thought at least 210C, if not 220C, would be more appropriate. But ...all ovens are different.

I look forward to reading your refined/adjusted version of this recipe.

I've not come across potato starch before. I've googled a French translation and will see if I can source it here.

@morning glory - another item for your proposed 'kitchen cupboard essentials' thread?

Hi. GF bread is taking me ages to get right. I need yi try and perfect this one but ive also made a successful chickpea loaf that I'll type up. If you search on hete ivevposted a couple of cake recipes that work really well and i have people suprised when yhey eat them that they are dairy and gluten free.

Sorry SF was a typo, I meant SR (self raising flour).

You are right about the temperature, I'll try it higher next time.

You don't need to use potato starch, I think the original recipe said corn starch but I didn't have any in.

Thanks @Herbie - I look forward to seeing the chickpea loaf recipe (and photo too?).

About GF bread generally - and it taking you ages to get it right …..someone once said (in a slightly different context admittedly) that "nothing worthwhile ever came easy". I often feel that way about improving/perfecting recipes. I'm convinced that you get more pleasure for mastering lengthy (and often frustrating), complicated cooking challenges than you do from achieving something quickly. If you're going to be the standard bearer for GF bread etc on Cooking Bites, then you have my full support (if you want it).

Thanks for the clarification re the flour - but now I'm confused. Doesn't a basic (Dove Farm's or anyone else's) self-raising flour contain gluten? or is this a gluten-free self-raising flour? Am I missing something in my failure to understand 'gluten-free'?

Corn starch? good - that's one thing that I can source here easily

I'll search out those cake recipes that you referred to. Dairy-free as well? very interesting ...

Back
Top Bottom